mrzeby

The proverbial Diff bloodline

This is so funny how people go on and on about it .. Getting different bloodlines..

Reality is most fish that we breed that are not on the list prob come from a very low and select line anyway. And sometime from a single pair breed back over years . It is more likely that fish are continually crossed back and forth from a handful of the original batches.. Just because you get a fish from Joe or Smith does not mean they are diff bloodline (Only a genetic test will confirm this) Also if the fish are about same size .. then they are more likely from the same bloodlines.

Just wanted to put it out to see peoples thoughts

not that im a holy man.....but by your thought process and being that we are all decended from adam and eve (again im not religious but its seems the likely analogy to use) we as human beings are all only interbreeding with our decended brothers/sisters????????? even if that fable was true......does the fact that the "bloodline effectively went down a different road enhancing or declining certain traits only to re discover its lineage though with a vastly different genome to that at the start of the journey" play its part?. eveloution alone would dictate that getting a "different bloodline" that is atleast a few generations different to the start would be benificial to the gene pool. breeding brother and sister is generally frowned upon in most places though it is the norm in some small australian abodes, however is breeding of 5 or 6th generation cousins less taboo? in most thoughts i would say yes. i think you miss the reasoning for the "different bloodline" request in that its to strengthen an otherwise interbred genepool JMHO

your going to get a % of crap from any spawn.

even with fish you can guarantee arnt related (say wild caught a few years apart for 2 diferent areas - 99.9% chance unrelated) you will get a % that either dont fit the "image" of what we are looking for in future offspring or they have defects.

the question is, at what % does it start being a concern......

Yeah you do get crap fish from problems other than genetics

but it's true, have seen wild caught fish throw bad fry

Have read in a book where it suggests to get as many in a colony as you can

breed them, and keep a few fry from DIFFERENT females to add different genetics to the population

I can only speak for Americans but any small

Deformed or slow fish will quickly be dinner

For the fast strong and healthy

Not sure if that's true with Africans but I have read

You can cull up to 50% of a spawn In a bad batch

With same bloodlines ???

It's clear we all have different views

But when no new blood is ever to be found

We have to do what we can to keep

The strains as pure as possible

FJ

I started with a stunning peacock male that produced fry batches with an 80% mortality rate 6 years ago.

I now get about 1 deformed/dead per 500 fish with my peacock strain. They are so rare, they almost seem special.

But its a bullet proof bloodline now, and I can vouch for at least 35 of the females not being related to each other.

Not that most here would approve of that but ya.

From here on in, I linebreed to tweak.

Basically you get the fish you are happy with, and then try to produce more of them.

Many cichlids put out over a 1000 fry. How many lfs stock more than 50 of a species? Assuming that a wholesaler/breeder loses half his stock, that's still 500 in circulation once he sells 'em to a lfs...............10 lfs with the same stock. Your chances of getting different bloodlines within your own city are pretty slim, which is why blokes like fish junkie and others, travel or buy, interstate. All we can do is hope for the best that lfs have bought off different breeders/wholesalers.

kev

I started with a stunning peacock male that produced fry batches with an 80% mortality rate 6 years ago.

I now get about 1 deformed/dead per 500 fish with my peacock strain. They are so rare, they almost seem special.

But its a bullet proof bloodline now, and I can vouch for at least 35 of the females not being related to each other.

Not that most here would approve of that but ya.

From here on in, I linebreed to tweak.

Basically you get the fish you are happy with, and then try to produce more of them.

exactly...