Steve1

Pros and cons between filtration setups?

Hey guys, im looking at setting up a few tanks on a stand for breeding in the near future however im not sure which is the best way to go about filtering the setup.

Ive currently already got a 3ft tank but I am looking at getting another 2 4x2x2's, with the primary use for the tanks as breeding ( not sure on the species)

Obviously with any fish keeper, keeping electricity usage down is a must as its only getting more expensive.

So what types of filtration is there, whats their pros and cons and how much would it cost to set up are the questions Id like to put forward to the many experienced members of this forum.

All input is very welcome :)

Cheers Steve.

Easy maintenance

Just need one pump (saves electricity)

Can shove your heater in there instead of seeing it in tanks

Breed cherry shrimp in them lol

Increases water volume, less water changes due to greater dilution from higher volume of water

Fish tend to be happier and grow faster

Easy to run and can easily add more tanks to the system whenever you need to get more tanks

Plus tanks can be added to the system and have fish in it the same day since the sump is always cycled from running other tanks

It all depends really,

I have tanks using sumps, canisters, air powered sponges, and hobs, they all have there Pros n cons

personally if I was setting up a breeding system i would have it sumped with sponge filters running as well in case of a blackout,

I'd also be setting up a rack which was not on the sump system for q and hospital tanks,

Sumps are by far the easiest filter to maintain, And if you want to cut running costs sumping is the way to go

Cav

I had a set up 6-7 tank all on sponges, got rid of that one and set up a sumped system cut running cost by a fair chunk,easier to look after aswell. Will more than likely cost u a bit more to set up but well worth it I think.

Also someone mentioned a hospital tank ! Get one you will more than likely need it every now and again.

And don't add new fish to your sumped system straight away or if you have no choice turn the tap off to that tank and let it run on sponges for a week or so just to be sure the fish are okay.

Trev

Depends what you are breeding.....

Hard water fish only.....sump it

Softwater fish only.....sponge filters

I prefer air driven sponge filters.....

Very Good biological filtration+ fry can feed on organisims that grow on sponges

Removal of rubbish at weekly water changes(squeeze the sponge)

Water changes on grow out tanks can be more regular

I can keep fish that require different water chemistry....some soft water some hard water

I definetly want one tank just for long fin BN as they are very umcommon around my area, but I may end up using a divider ( not glass) and splitting it to do another type of long fin (like marbled and albinos)

the other 2 tanks id like to use to breed something thats going to get me a little bit of turn over. Not sure of species, some advice on that would be nice. Also, as stated by shon you can have cherry shrimp in the sump I assume this would also work for bn etc which in turn could be benificial.

Seems sumping may be the way to go with a hospital tank aside running of a canister filter.

if you guys have any more advice please keep it flowing it is very interesting : )

also, how does heating the sump work?

Steve.

Slighty off topic but whats aganist glass dividers? I've made quite a few and they work great! easy to cut out and re-use :)

But yeah, would agree with the sump idea :)

You just put your heaters in the sump, will in turn will heat the water thats in it, and since you have a constant flow of water in and out of the sump it essentially heats up your entire system.

yer i would go sump, and if you are worried about the flow what you can do is chuck a big piece of course sponge at the bottom of the glass so have like a couple inches on the bottom, this allows the water to flow through but at the same time keeps the 2 species separate.