guest 11

Catfish breeding set up

I've had colonies of albino/common longfin, peps, marbles and shortfin commons/albinos breeding regularly in 4 footers. They like a lot of wood, but I sit the wood on top of their caves so the crap doesn't accumulate under it.

Pairs and probably trios would be fine in 2 footers. My colonies were 10-30 fish in the four footers.

Have a colony of common longfins up for grabs if you're chasing an instant breeding colony, need the space for marble fry: http://www.qldaf.com/forums/live-stock-14/fs-breeding-common-longfin-bristlenose-colony-pics-51993/

i'd put the peps in a 2/3ft on their own, the others can be together, but as above they will cross breed, you will still get a mixture of common and albino in sf and lf, i have all mine together in a 4ft, but will be keeping my albino lf in a seperate tank,

you could set up 2ft tanks and have trios/pairs in them, 3ft you could go with 5/6 with 2m / 4fm, in them, i have around 12 adults in my 4ft plus some sub adults,

hope that helps,

Canister filter will do fine. Id go to bunnings ( i live near caloundra aswell) and grab some of that kids play sand because it looks mint in a tank but also if the clutch does get kicked out they wont get stuck or crushed in the gravel.

I used to have a designated tank of just one type of BN in a 2 foot which worked fine but I would now use a 3ft at least to increase growth = profit :D

unless your going to divide your tank (at least 2 foot per/ species) then keep it single to stop the chance of cross breeding. shops like to know your selling them pure fish not peps/ albino bn/ siamese fighting fish. ;P

Steve.

Could I keep a trio of common pair of lf albino and trio of peps in the 1 4 ft tank?

Just something to think about. If your commons breed and you just got commons and if your LF Albino have breed and you only got LF Albino then the person who sold them to you have generally done the right thing.

So if you want to sell the fry, and you mix the commons with the LF Albino and they cross you may get some common and some LF Albino - you sell the LF Albino the person grows them up and breeds them and does not get all LF Albino they may not be too happy. Just something to think about.