David!

Sisters birthday. Where to buy a Betta bowl, some other misc q's

My sisters birthday is coming up, and she has expressed an interest in getting a Betta.

I would like to set up something nice for her and surprise her with it.

I know where to get a nice fish from, that's no problem.

Where would I get a bowl?

I would like to set it up using the Walstad method

Something like this:

798px-Five_Litre_Walstad_tank.jpg

I've never kept a Betta. Would it be ok with a couple of rams horn snails, or some shrimp of some type?

Thanks all

Try Kmart or target too man,

I saw some nice big glass bowls that would be perfect for a betta when the missus dragged me shopping on the weekend,

They were cheaper than one in an LFS

As for the betta spend some extra cash and get her a nice one from fishchicks,

It'll look way better than those crappy ones u see at most lfs

Hth

Cav

Try Kmart or target too man,

I saw some nice big glass bowls that would be perfect for a betta when the missus dragged me shopping on the weekend,

They were cheaper than one in an LFS

Great, thanks man.

As for the betta spend some extra cash and get her a nice one from fishchicks,

That's the plan

It will eat the shrimp and the snails will most likely just crawl out the top and onto the floor...

We have some `cute 4.5L tanks with lights and filters built in them - easy for her to upgrade if say she wants some other fish later on down the line, but also will keep your snails in them. Or you could get her some SS grade shrimp instead ;)

Oh, the tanks are $42 for club and come in purple, blue black and silver. They fly off the shelves.

I agree with CAV....Kmart had some bowls for $10

Lucky bamboo can be attractive center piece....and provide good filtration

MTS work for me.....but no one else...apparently

I'd steer towards a Paradise fish rather than a betta.....they don't need a heater!

Cover the top with duckweed or water sprite.....removes toxins and provides a natural "Lid"....fish less likely to jump!

Hmm yeah, you could get one of those flat little heaters that hide under the bowl?

I didnt know paradise fish dont need heaters? ive never had one so i might look into getting one rather than a decorative betta bowl in our lounge.

Could just keep shrimp in there? I have a few crs left, attractive and always doing something :)

I'd steer clear of paradise fish, they are ment to grow much larger than a bowl would hold, permanant wise your betta off with a betta (or shrimp ;) )

Thanks guys, she's set on a Betta. I've had paradise fish before, they're great but not what she's after.

Pity she can't have the fish and some shrimp.

It'll be my first Walstad so i'll be checking in on it frequently.

We have kept a 2 x fighters in a 2 foot tank with shrimp (cherry shrimp) - the fighters not at the same time of course but in succession. Fighters do prefer warmer filtered water. We also had corys and platys in with the fighter and shrimp too. The shrimp bred like crazy and we recently sold about 80-100 shrimp to a member on here from that very tank as we got way too many.