gung-ho1900

what does removes heavy metals mean

do you know for sure that you have a heavy metal problem in the tank ie high in copper? i would get a copper test kit from your local pool supply before you need to worry about removing it. just a suggestion but sometimes things dont directly correlate just because they function together. hope that made some sense :lol:

water conditioners general "bind" heavy metals so that the are "caught" in the filtration and removed that way. i dont know of any water conditioners the make heavy metals dissapear as such HTH

there are aquarium specific copper test kits available, mostly used my marine aquaria peeps.

I had one when I was doing marine sytems.

Its not the copper pipes you want to worry about, its the sh!t thats sitting in the bottom of the hot water tank thats the worry.

The older the HWS, the more the concern because the sacrificial annode that breaks down over time ,to stop your HWT tank from rusting, disintegrates and settles to the bottom of the tank, slowly diffusing into the water column.

I can guartantee any HWT 5 years or more old, if you drained it, would have some nasty (for fish ) stuff come flowing out of it.

THAT is why they say not to use hot water from the tap for your fish tanks. Instant gas is ok, hot water tank not ok.

I now have instant GAS hotwater with copper pipes, and tested the hot water for traces of copper.... none.

cool thanks guys I had a new HWT installed early this year but still have copper pipes and also read a few things on people getting high amounts of copper with copper pipes well that's good to know now that I can use hot water from the tap to do water changes just worried that I would kill my red cherry shrimp thanks guys

cool thanks guys I had a new HWT installed early this year but still have copper pipes and also read a few things on people getting high amounts of copper with copper pipes well that's good to know now that I can use hot water from the tap to do water changes just worried that I would kill my red cherry shrimp thanks guys

Not sure if you read the replies correctly... do a test. You keep plants don't you?

Plants and inverts hate copper. Just do a test.

A single copper join can contribute enough heavy metal to kill off everything, depending on the state of the water that passes through it.

So.... do a test!!! :-)