kasman

Calico / Marble bristlenose?

Yes its a marble not a calico - shame mark aka eagle was banned, fellow was an absolute expert on this stuff :(

there is a thread about how they come about somewhere on this forum, try doing a search for it. btw I have some marble and calico breeders F/S ;)

I was under the impression marble and calico are the same thing? Do you have photos of both your marble and calico breeders? Would be interested to see what the actual difference was?

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/live-stock-14/calico-longfins-sale-39706/

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/live-stock-14/wtb-longfin-bristlenose-adults-43228/

hmm, this is the prob with common names I suppose, and moreso when its a line bred morph of some sort.

I search google (as a guide only) for either and get similar results.

So native, Im guessing you bought yours... are you breeding them?

I have recently chased down some good quality commons and albinos to start breeding. Going to pair them up in warmer weather.

I'm guessing pairing up a common and albino will give me a mix of common and albino fry. But I just wondered if thats where these marbles came from, 1 out of a batch of 100 common/albino fry is maybe a marble. Just a freak of nature so to speak. Then you keep it and line breed it with another.

I wonder if you guys or anyone out there has bred a marble this way?

I have around 13 blood lines in a colony of 20+ fish, have been grabbing one here and there and growing them out. They’re breeding every 1-2 weeks, that’s why I’m trying to clear out space. I’ve bought some as calicos, some as marbles, but have seen no obvious difference in them. People selling them on Petlink seem to think they’re the same too (btw pairs on there are reasonably priced - $40 for SF pair and $100 for longfin pairs, all breeding).

I’ve had albinos and commons (both short fin and longfin) breed together in the past but they either come out albino or common, nowhere in between.

hmm interesting.

I know with africans that the OB gene originally came from Metriaclima Estherae where it was naturally occuring in lake malawi. Then crossbred/hybridised with peacocks. (correct me if Im wrong Donny... if your out there....)

I wonder if something similar has occured with these guys, maybe another member from the Ancistrus family resembling an OB appearance.

Sounds like you have done some hard work getting a colony together, you must have some fry coming soon then... :)

Im tied up with my commons atm, starting with the basics - enjoying them first.

But of course we all get the bug to expand at some point.

When you do expand... http://www.qldaf.com/forums/live-stock-14/fs-breeding-common-longfin-bristlenose-colony-pics-51993/

;)

Don't spend too long on those short fins, they're hard to move sometimes, longfin fry sell easily ;)

Nothing like a quality shortfin (albino or common) for display purposes though, never shy and lots of personality.

Im actually not breeding these with the main purpose of selling them.

For some reason I see it as a challenge to breed some really striking commons. Will pair some up, cull the rubbish and probably give away the rest while keeping the stunners to line breed. Dont know much about it but I'll be learning along the way.

I just cant get into the longfins for some reason, just dont like the ....well ... long fins lol!.

I'd love a few marbles and pepps for a display.

Anyway, maybe there is someone on here who can fill us in on the ancestry of these marbles...

I tried finding the thread on this site, couldn't :( real shame as it was close to the size of the longfin pepp thread!

its complicated but basicly it has to do with dominance (genetics wise) codominance (expressing both parental traits separately) produces marbles and incomplete dominance produces (blending of parental traits) calicos.

But that being said, people interbreed the two all the time. But its very very obvious which is which when you get decent looking versions of each (but hard to come by these days)

definately a marble b/n

Ihave had mine for more than 4 years now and all have bred true ...... except one batch ( which I swapped the females over some other males ) and..... I got 9 distinctly diff offspring out of one batch only

gold color body and lace patterned tail... will try for a pic on sat

I have always kept my marbles seperate to all other b/n so was surprised to see the 9 diff ones

I never mix the color varieties or fin variants so dont know what you would get if you cross the variants

dominant genes will always prevail

Ahhhhhh Pete....Have you noticed the eye colour on that LF odd marble....

Marbles/calicos = same same. Yes they came from breeding common x albino then line breeding the desirable traites.

I have not done it myself but I have been told if you breed marble x albino you will get all marble fry, but I dunno.