Whats the story with that common brown/green algae you see on all marine tanks ("insert smart a55 reply about your tank being free from it here")....

What causes it? Has it more to do with lighting, or water parametres such as phosphate, or something else all together? Someone gimme the low down on how to best deal with it in both Canistered and sumped aquariums. Some natural treatments, as well as as prescribed medication would be great if anyone knows any?

I've got the same problem as well at the moment. Went to a lfs today and was told that sometimes it can be high nitrate at the end of a cycling period, high phosphate levels or lighting. I'm only new to marine myself but my best info would be:

If it's nitrate (which will be feeding it) the best thing to do is test your water, find out if that's it and then do water changes to aid in taking it out, if its a cycling tank then don't stress as this is just the end of your cycling period and the algae will die off as it's food source dies out (the nitrate).

If it's phosphates (also feed algae and you can also test for), then some macro algae in your sump is a good natural removal of phosphate or otherwise a phosban reactor (i think they're called) which is a mechanical way to remove phosphates

If it's lighting it's pretty simple, in a cycling tank with only live rock just turn the light off for a while (it won't harm your live rock for a ages) and that will control it. In a fish stocked or reef tank you just need to cut your hours back (I had mine on around 9-10 day and now brought it back to 7).

Anyway, hope that helps I noticed no one had replied and even though I'm a newbie I hoped I could help :) lol, good luck

No algae at all?

What about on the glass you never clean like the sides and rear and between coralline algae on the other glass walls, the ones that are not cleaned as well?

I must admit I get only a little harmless algae any where not just due to the type of bio filtering I use, but the available light being utilised by the corals, coralines and turtle weed,etc also.

Here and there tiny amounts of algae are present, certainly not annoying in any way, but to not have any at all, is there an additive available now that achieves 0 algae and diatoms?

I don’t have much to do with new products, unless they are to my advantage and 0 algae products that actually work, now that’s interesting.

You would have a better idea of new products from Pet city employment.

I don’t go to shops much these days, last weekend I went over to Nielsen’s and than to pet city the other day to look at mostly freshwater for my wife’s new tank I built for her, it’s doing very well and she was keen to look for some more fish, why the hell I went some where else in the first place is beyond me!

I looked at the marines at both places while she looked around and then I looked at the marines at pet city for a while, you guys do a top job over there in both fresh and salt!

I saw very little parasitic issues on the marines, very nicely done!

Now the algae, could you elaborate on it, so many people don’t just have the new tank blues, they have other algae issues that I speak to and I can’t help because they use the wrong forms of bio filtering and water scrubbing for simple management of the aquaria any way?

Thanks in advance on this.

Edited by liquidg

"insert smart a55 reply about your tank being free from it here"

just doing what I was told.

Ya cant inb4 me m8

lol yea age of tank is important info before anyone can help with algae issues.

all new marine gets diatomeous.

mastering the (addition of calcium, carbonates and magnesium ) times (suitable lighting) minus excessive (nitrate and phosphate) is the answer to sweet levels of awesome coraline purple algae.

:D

basically almost anything but briopsis is easily solved with husbandry technique alteration.

failing that try the new redsea NPX family of algae control treatments

we get great feedback from customers on it

Edited by DeadFishFloating

So the redsea NPX are the best to tell some one about?

Yeh i feel for some hobbyists with hair algae,not had it in eons,but it certainly is common these days with live rock bio media dependance.

Do you guys carry any other algae control products?

Edited by liquidg

i was mainly just referring to the green/brown algae that builds up on the glass.... Its easy enough to wipe of if you do it weekly, but if you miss a week it gets a bit more stubborn.... The tank has been running for at least a year but recently has had 10kg of live rock added. Its a 170 litre octagonal shaped tank running 2 bulbs (actinic blue and white), a small eheim canister, a hydor nano p/h and a Hydor Nano skimmer. I know it should be sumped but the shape of the stand makes it difficult.

So the redsea NPX are the best to tell some one about?

Its best to find the reason algae is becoming a problem, but the redsea npx products have a growing cult following.

They can be an easy solution.

Hennessy, maybe you should invest in a super flash algae scraper or magnet.

altho the hex shape makes it hard!

Without a sump ya cant take advantage of caulerpra out competing problem algae, and it makes it harder to use a 2 fishys phosphate reactor.