Sign in to follow this  
whiteknight

transporting fish

hey whats a rough estimate of how long fish can last in transportation without oxygen put in the bag ? have a esky with two battery pumps on it with an airstone on each but what about in bags, i get it would depend on size and weather but just a rough guess thanks

well if you look at the auctions held in brisbane and surrounding areas

i sold some fish at the caboolture auction i bagged the fish at 4pm and they were the last lost of fish sold at around 11:30 pm then add in the travel time home and settling in the fish im guessing my fish at that auction were in bags with just air for around 8-9 hours

i know of some fish at the same auction that were bagged pre lunch and possibly bot taken from the bag till close to midnight

hth

Hi,

There is a few factors to consider~

size and quantity of fish per bag

volume of bag

ratio of water to air (ideal is one part water to two parts air)

fish purged (unfed for atleast 24 hours before bagging) or not...

I would say if packed lightly and as Wayne says if you purge them for a day or 2 before sending they can survive upto 24hrs, bigger fish can be easily stressed when being shipped and can often lead to disease this way. If you can pack individually it is better on fish.

Here is an example. I recently shipped some Lepidio attenuatus to perth. Purged for 3 days prior, oxygen in bag, one part water to 4 parts air. Oxygen in bag. AAE stuffed it up, and they ended up being nearly 40 hours in the bags. There were 10, 5cm fish per bag. Out 0f 60 fish, all survived fine.

But in your case, consider the factors mentioned by Angry and Stace, and the differences to this example. A larger fish will consume much more air. Attenuatus at this are a fairly slight fish.

Jason

hey whats a rough estimate of how long fish can last in transportation without oxygen put in the bag ? have a esky with two battery pumps on it with an airstone on each but what about in bags, i get it would depend on size and weather but just a rough guess thanks

Hey mate a few more details will help us help you... what fish are you looking to transport and for how long?

If you have an esky with air pumps why not just use that? I've had a fish in an esky without an air pump for about 2.5 hours from the gold coast to the sunshine coast. About 1/4 filled with water.

havent got ay fish in mind was just after a general rule most fish i get are bout 10-15cm but use the esky for them but often i get fry as well with these bigger fish, i've seen some nice fish both up and down the coast and i live near toowoomba so was just wondering, i realize size and amont of fish is a factor but was just after a general rule thanks for your help

Sign in to follow this