masone

Spiny eel breeding?

wow, 5! good job. they have never been bred in australia though I think. and u can't import them either lol

Yeah I know AQIS haven't been letting them in for a while, guy had maybe 30 or more of various sizes that just cleared his Q room so I figured I may as well grab some. Did a quick scan of the ones I could see for any tire tracks or fires in the mix but nothing stood out. Just got little ones about 3-4", there were a few bigger ones ~6" sticking their heads out of logs though.

M. signatus ?

Haha no idea steve, only ones I can easily ID are tires and fires. Here are some pics, let someone else ID. My guess is half banded spiny (M. circumcinctus?)

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0729.jpg

I had looked into getting one from aquarama at the start of the year so I did a bit of reading into them and one site I read I remember them saying that they are impossible to breed in tanks.

And yes I am pretty darn sure that if it is not already vitually impossible to import that they very soon will be. The Lady who served me told me that they keep getting taken by customs and that (6 months ago when I was last in) they wont be ordering any more as they are over the hassles with importing them.

If that is the case and you scored five of those guys you should be very happy indeed.

You can't import them any more, and yes that is probably a Circumcinctus.

I used to have a sizable collection (fire, zig zags, 6 spot, 5 spot peacock, tyres, half band, and a couple with no common name) but recently sold my last spiney.

Macrognathus variants have been bred in captivity. They spawn in vegetation, so a mop might work.

Mastacembelus have never been bred in an aquarium.

Funnily enough AQIS gave these a green light but they took his kuhli loaches...go figure. I could try them in one of my ponds that has thick veg and mud bottom and full of shrimp but figure they will wander off in the wet season. Might just grow them out and pass them on, like I said, not big on eels and just had the urge to spend some $$$ on fish.