Here's a stand back view before the glass went in. I found I had to add the glass in Winter to stop it from breaking.

Each piece is 19 mm thick and overlaps the concrete all the way around by 100 mm.

The tank sits on my back veranda, facing East, so it's back gets the afternoon sun on it.

lotsofshit034.jpg

Finally we added water, and within a day it was black and leaking badly.

I drained it and got a mate in with a chainsaw to remove the logs which had been bolted into place.

lastof093.jpg

Then for some unknown reason I refilled it, and it was still leaking, lol.

I got a tank repairer in and he had a go, for a $1000.00. He called a week later for his money and I said, "when it stops leaking I'll pay you". He was back a few weeks later and redid it. We waited a week and filled it wooho, what a day that was. The water was about 13 degrees, but I got in and had a swim. No leaks and the water was crystal clear.

Edited by Tagged

Here's the view from a distance. You can see where I tried to fix the leaks from the outside and it didn't work. This photo was taken before sunup this morning with the LED's on. The log you can see is two, one sikaflexed to the wall above and below the surface and the other tied in place waiting to sink.

Plants you can see are Anubias and Turtle Back Waterlilly.

tankwithfish010.jpg

Here's the corner of the tank, it's one area that wont recieved any more logs or weed. You can see, Black Striped Rainbows, Perchlets and Mary River Rainbows. The lilly is a common one with the purple flower. It's been there about 4 weeks and grown about 3 feet in height and is growing out of a toilet filled with potting mix. The tank holds 7 large logs and 13 pieces of PVC or clay pipe. I will be adding more when the water warms up, as I have to swim to place them.

The white pipe is the down pipe off the house, just reflection. But the down pipe from my veranda runs into the tank and overflows into the garden.

tankwithfish004.jpg

8O.... WOW! That's amazing, how have you addressed the Heating & Filtration? Are those block's "core filled"? How many litres does it hold? Geez, so many questions...lol. Thanks for posting this up. I have had a similar idea for a while now just wasn't too confident with the design. Seem's to work for you though!:)

Cheers

No heating Barefoot, I'm hoping that once filled the temp will stay between 17 and 24 degrees, just because of the mass.

The design started with the concrete floor, it's 200 mm thick and has 16 mm deform bar through it and up the walls. Then a further 100 meters of the same reo runs around the tank. And it's completely core filled to the top, where 50 mm stainless bar comes out and then runs across the top and down the other side.

The tank holds 8000 litres when full, but I've added an overflow outlet at 5000 litres. This gives me a good space for plants above the water and room for a turtle to live.

The tank has two pumps, one is 240 volt and runs 5000 litres per hour around the tank. This creates a very good flow.

The second is solar powered and runs about 300 litres per hour through a 13 meter length of PVC pipe filled with bio balls and plants. This is my idea of filtration, a bit loose I know, but fingers crossed. The water trickles out and falls 60 cm to the tanks surface, creating a waterfall sound.

Your right Golly's, I plan on being here for a while.

Natives Jaypee, I'm not smart enough to take on something else.

Thanks guys, I will keep adding pictures as it comes along.

Open to advice as well.

Edited by Tagged

If you wanted to warm the water up to 26+ degrees celcius year round, you could get a 2nd solar pump and get a fair few meters of coiled black irigation pipe. Position the coils of pipe in the sunshine and pump water through it. The water will heat up a few degrees and return to the pond warmer. If you control the on/off state of the pump with a thermostat then it will never overheat the water any further than you want.

I like your idea for the filter. Have you investigated Aquaponics? (sounds like you could do that fairly easily)

If you wanted to warm the water up to 26+ degrees celcius year round, you could get a 2nd solar pump and get a fair few meters of coiled black irigation pipe. Position the coils of pipe in the sunshine and pump water through it. The water will heat up a few degrees and return to the pond warmer. If you control the on/off state of the pump with a thermostat then it will never overheat the water any further than you want.

I like your idea for the filter. Have you investigated Aquaponics? (sounds like you could do that fairly easily)

I agree with mattyd, that would be your best option of heating the tank.

Thanks guys.

I have thought about adding black poly for heating, but I don't trust it not to over heat.

What temperatures would I be looking to obtain ?

I seen a guy growing strawberries in the filtration from a tank with Silver Perch in it and I kind of copied it. The strawberries were as big as apples.

Now has, Black Lined Rainbow or Speckled Hardy Heads, either of. Rainbows, Perchlets, Gudgeons, Flatheaded, Gudgeons, Bass, Bullrouts, Krefts Turlte, Eeltail Catfish and Barramundi

I'm looking for, Archer Fish, Fork Tail Catfish, Eel, Junlge Perch, Golden Perch, Saratoga, Redclaw, Solver Perch, and Spangle Perch. If you have any of these with 2 hours of Gympie please let me know.

Also Frogs laid eggs in the tank the other night.

for most of your more common natives you may be able to buy them cheap from a farm, not sure of locations but give some a call anyways and they should be cheaper than buying through stores, also for a toga a mate of mine has one he needs to sell,

he is a member on this forum and lives on the sunshinecoast his forum name is -GOfish-

he is asking $50 for it and its 40cm+

steve.