bidkev

Discus dilemma

As you maty be aware from previous threads, Jake has a community planted discus tank.

He has had 3 clutches of eggs/wrigglers in the space of 4 weeks (same father different female) All of them have been laid high in the water column and the wrigglers moved even higher. the first two batches disappeared overnight and the current batch of wrigglers are that high in the water column, the parents dorsals are almost breaking the surface.

because of this and his wish to try preserve the fry, which I consider almost impossible, he hasn't wanted me to do a water change. Subsequently, Nitrates are now heading for 40ppm

What's your thoughts? water change and to hell with the fry for the benefit of the whole tank?

I've quadruple dosed with prime in the hope that it may make at least some nitrate inert, but tests indicate it as still there, although, it may be harmless............who knows?

Apart from the nitrate, there are other things to consider such as water changes adding trace elements.

I know once Nitrates reach 40, it's a bugger to get them back down again :confused:

I'm voting water change, you'll have more fry in a week or two but if you loose the parents....

or you can take out some of the other "community" fish that are in there to help reduce the bioload. Or if hes really keen on keeping the fry maybe setup another tank just for breeding the discus.

Oh and a bit of stability never hurt ;)

I say don't do water change, leave em be, but do think a tank just 4 the bad boy doing all the work is good and drop in a girl or 2 ever now and then... And or will dropping a bag of carbon or something in help??... 10/15% water change??..

Carbon won't do anything for your Nitrates. Fry won't survive in a community tank regardless of the water parameters, they'll be lost to predation. All you'll successfully achieve is to stress the parents as they attempt to care for the fry against the other inhabitants.

If you're serious about breeding Discus then you need a separate tank.

Mate I might be missing the point but it might take a while but if you fill like a rockcoat bucket for your water change and have a airline hose drawing the water out of it into the tank and also have another rockcoat bucket on the ground with airline hose drawing the water out from a different level - could you do a water change that way without changing the water level too much? I know it would be slow but would it do what you want?

Thanks for the responses but problem now solved. Another lot of wrigglers eaten overnight so 70% water change (very slowly) completed. We turned the temp down a couple of days ago in the hope that it would stop 'em spawning but they must already have been on the way. Hopefully, they won't breed again as Jake just wants it as a community tank.

Decreases in temp can actually trigger them to spawn as it replicates the conditions in nature after heavy rains upstream. Even though they're probably tank bred, alot of these instinctive behaviours are still pretty strong.

As long as they're in a community tank they will not be successful and since they're now paired they'll continue to attempt to breed. If they're a like-strain pair why not sell them (better price for confirmed breeders) and replace them with 2 others? - just a thought.

Decreases in temp can actually trigger them to spawn as it replicates the conditions in nature after heavy rains upstream. Even though they're probably tank bred, alot of these instinctive behaviours are still pretty strong.

As long as they're in a community tank they will not be successful and since they're now paired they'll continue to attempt to breed. If they're a like-strain pair why not sell them (better price for confirmed breeders) and replace them with 2 others? - just a thought.

Mate, trying to get my lad to sell his fish once he takes a shine to 'em is as hard as trying to get me to drink that xxxx plss. It's actually one male pairing with two females. I'm gonna try talk him into a dedicated tank.

A dedicated tank is deinately the way to go. You don't need anything special, a 2x18x18 tank with a mature foam filter works very well. Try putting a light coloured stocking over the filter before the fry become free swimming so they don't get attracted to the dark foam. Once they're feeding off the parents for a few days you can safely remove it.