He's a pic of one of the fry i got off couple months back, its getting a nice size

Really nice colour, im pretty sure this is a boy, as the other one appears to be a girl, will put a pic of her up soon

P1020157.jpg

Edited by memphis9787

i have a 1st gen like yours but still green !!!!! work that one out lol i breed it so its out of a bp x sgt... all but 4 turned out orange/pink (only keeped 8 as i did not want to flood the market with shit like other have in the past

he look just like his dad a SGT but i would say he will have hidden gens sum where .. time will tell

Yeah its certainly a guessing game with first gen, I'll take a pic of the girl I got she has next to no pearls, both do have deep red finnage,

Ive got one fry left from my batch of 50 SGT x Bp , I Put the eggs in a grow out tank with a brand new aqua one heater set to 28 deg, checked the temp a few hours later 18deg :( I know exactly where I went wrong "Aqua One" lol, any way all the fry died, but somehow 1 fry survived who is aptly named superman, he's about 2cm at the moment. Will be interesting to see how he/she turns out.

just outta curiousity, do any of you guys like the traits of these fish? what is it that appeals to you about them? not having a go really but i dont see anything in em. no shape, no colour, no desirable traits to speak of. its just to my way of thinking i guess but fish are hybridised in an effort to "improve" them. again dont wanna start a load of crap but what is it thats appealing.....exactly?

Matt i agree, when they start off they look like crap, heck i dont even know how mine are going to turn out. but they will be different seeing how they are sgt x kkp, some have sgt shape, some more kkp and some a mixture but I think mainly they will continue to look crap until the get pearls and/or fade.

yeah i know the process bud, i just cant see the "promise". cant grow them all out and end up with 90% crap can ya? like i said i just cant see it but maybe, i lack "forsight" on these matters :lol: each to their own i guess

yep........hope.....its a strange drug :lol: i would love to see someone post some "standouts" but. some that have peeled maybe, or are an exceptional variation? i know they are a first gen and thats all good but to my understanding and to enhance the gene pool you will only wanna line breed the exceptions. i know you have experienced some dissapointment in the "promise" of some fish before james. all im really saying is i wanna see a "wow that could become something" more then a " i cant see it happening" fish. if memphis's fish does actually "peel" and not all do it may show some aspects as it has some pearls (they stay after peeling and need to be there before peeling as they dont just show up) but if yodas fish should "peel" it will likely resemble a different shaped blood parrot as it has no pearling (that i can see).

hope that makes sense, like i said not so much an attack and more just a dissapointment that i havnt seen the exceptional yet. please post em peeps

i agree, have you seen mattys selects, they are quite nice fish, when i bought this fish, i just bought it because it was a cool hybrid really, i didnt know much about these kinds of fish.........

nah, havnt seen much about this batch really. they seem true of all first gen hybrids that you get a mixed bag. would still like to see the "stunners" of the batch but

yeah mate, i know what everyone is strivin for. i just wanna see the nice fry that are gunna get bred together for the second gene strain. red texas are line breed and need a few gens to start seeing decent fish with the same traits. i just wanna see red and pearls. the one in the pic is prolly the best i have seen from the batch....but whats it gunna be bred with to get 2nd gen?

maybe back to the mother or father depending on sex, i would breed it either to another one of its siblings (a nice one) or a kkp personally, but idk.......

if you were to do that it would only "dilute" the original pairing. example you have a 50/50 fry at the moment (well kinda, lets say 50/50 parents anyway) you could do it that way and the traits will lean further toward the blood parrot or the texas. the thing is to make a "red texas" you want the red from the parrot and everthing else from the texas (pearls and shape). that being the theory you would need either a red female fry with limited pearling and then cross back to the dad to try and enhance the pearls. or a very pearly male fry with limited red and cross it back to the mum.

however if you have a male and female fry with a nice amount of shape,red and pearls, breeding them and then the best offspring will start producing some standout fish. these are the generations you should be line breeding back against the 2nd or 3rd generation parents to get the best results. i could be wrong........but thats my opinion on establishment of a new hybrid JMHO

OK i have been playing with the RED TEXAS hybreed for a few mths now 18-24mths

i have breed bro / sis and all died 3 times i have breed them and 0 fry to show for

so i put 3 females with the dad and have about 100 good fry shape, pearls(NOT FOR SALE)

i would not put any fry back to mum (b/p or kkp) as what tuffy said you are after the texas shape and pearls . now its up to the person to pick the best fish to breed FROM.. I have had a couple of males with 5-10% pearl and nice red colour and breed them back to a sgt and got 100% pearly red texas looking fish SO that my next gen of red texas to work with

it will take about 4-6 years to get a SRT fry ..

i know a couple of guys breeding them and there on 3rd and 4th gen and still only a red texas

but time will tell

fernando