Mackayman

UV Sterilizer questions

Hey all,

I'm seriously considering a uv unit for my 500 litre, sumped american set up.I want it primarily because im having some minor parasite issues.

My research tells me it will kill green algea, does this mean if it works well, I wont have any algea growing in the tank at all ??

I ask because I have a nice healthy sailfin in there and I like the algea growing on the back wall for him to feed on. ( I clean the front and sides, display tank. )

Also can anybody with a UV recommend something, I'm looking for a quality product that i can easily buy replacement bulbs for.

Thanks,

Brendan

a good quality UV is definitely worth it. It won't have any effect on algae growing on the walls of the tank. the UV works by essentially 'frying' anything that passes over the UV ray for a long enough period so if its free floating, and goes into the UV steri it will be killed. So any algae in the water will be reduced without reducing the the amount of food available to your plec.

I've had good experience with the blagdon UV lights but the only other UV I've used has been built into canister filters so can't really give any recommendations on brands. Speak to the guys at Age of Aquariums and they'll be able to help you as they sell a lot of UV stuff.

Edited by dditt

i have a couple of these on my smaller systems , very happy . not a spot of any algae (brown or green) on outside tanks getting full sunlight , been running them for about 6 months

UV Sterilizers and Accessories - UV Sterilizer Filters - Inline UV-C 10W Filter/Sterilizer - Guppy’s Aquarium Products Online - UV-C Sterilizer to any external