pony-tail

Metriaclima lanisticola ( Malawi shell dweller )

I am looking at getting some of these as a change from "Tangs" that I currently keep .

I have searched google and there is not a great deal about keeping and breeding these .

Has any body on this forum ever kept these ? or still keeping them ?

If so is there anything substantially different to keeping "Tangs" ? Is their food requirement different ?

Are they even available in Australia ? Are they expensive ?

I think you should try and track down some of these. if you've got mostly tang shellies then itd be a nice change.

They look strikingly similar to something like brevis or ocellatus, which just shows how cloesly the two lakes were once tied together.

let us know how you go..

It may be worth giving Smiths Aquarium a call as they're not too far from you.

But my guess is they will not be a standard stock> DFF has not seen them so they must not be common.

I'd send kelly at Pet City (little_goby) a PM and ask her. I'd say there is a good chance she can get some in.

They are now called Maylandia lanisticola .

It appears there is much confusion at present about these fish as to whether they are synonymous with Livingsoni and the fact that both species have been shipped under both names in the aquarium industry resulting in most fish sold as Lanisticola being at best a cross between two locational varieties of a a single species or a hybrid of the two species if they are indeed separate species . So the only way I can be sure of them not being cross breeds would be wild caught .

Even the so called "experts " do not agree as to whether they are one or two species .

I will keep my eyes open but I will have to be very careful about where I buy them.

Like any zebra they can crossbreed so very easily and are so dam hard to id. The shell dwelling is more an example of convergent evolution, rather than close relation to the tang shell dwellers. My only fear with adding them into a tank of small tangs..... is once they grow out of cute juvie age/size..... ya may find they become a bit of a terror.

Polits are aggro, but they are small. Mine are certainly well behaved around peacocks, and vanish into the rocks when the shadow of a protomelas virgatus passes over them.

They look like some of the Tang shellies dont they?? the pug nose look. First thing I thought anyway. But yeh, I see what you mean with it more likely being convergant evo.

PT, Its a shame, but that seems to be the fate of of the subtle regional variants of some species. No one is aware, and out they go with "inter species" cross breeding.

I havnt see Polits around much either....

I keep all of my fish in single species tanks .

As such I was looking at giving them their own tank .

Also I have not kept any of the Pseudotropheus group before so my experience with them is 0 or a little less !

The first 20 years of my fish keeping was almost exclusively Discus .