Battis

Unlevel tank?

Ok so over the weekend my room mate and I finally got our 6ft going, after we filled it we turned our pumps on and the water level dropped and we relised the water is out by almost 5mm.

We have checked and its level from front to back just one side is slightly out. We think its the floor because the stand is level.

dscf0518md.jpg

dscf0519c.jpg

Now when its fully filled you can't notice it but I was wondering will this break the tank?

I've looked around the net and some people seem to think it will destroy it overnight and some say its only a problem if it bothers you..

Its an aquariums r us tank and seems pretty solid built but I'm a little concerned its got about 700L in it...

Any advice?

IV had my 4ft up and going for about a month or 2 now and it is out by about 7mm and nothing has happened.

I read a few articles on the net aswell saying it will destroy the tank etc but i went to the place where i bought my tank and they said no it wont effect it at all unless you dont like the look of it. However it will be covered up by my hood (when dad decides to make it).

So if it dosnt bother you to look at it is all good :)

Definitely an aesthetics thing. I have my planted tank out by a few mm from side to side and also a good 1cm from front to back (all measured up sweet and chocked it up perfect but we moved it 3cms and it screwed it so we werent redoing it so we left it). Does not harm the tank it is a personal preference

Thanks a tonne, you guys have helped me be able to sleep tonight :egrin:

I'll get some pictures when the tank has fish in it, but as a reward for your help here is a picture with the moonlight on (picture doesn't look as good as in person)

dscf0523t.jpg

Same happened to me - and I had Aquariums Alive come and help me with the set up (I was swapping a 3 foot tank over to the 6 foot one and could not do it by myself) - and the right hand water level is slightly lower than the left hand side. Now the tank is perfect but I say the tiled floor is out abit, so that caused it. I dont notice it when I fill it up past the hood anyway, only when the level is dropped do you see it. I would rather it not be like that, but Josh did not seem worried even though we discussed maybe draining it out and starting over. But did not seem worth the drama. I have not noticed any problems.

nice driftwood , that tank would look awesome with a silver arowana cruising around in the moon lights.

with the level off tank , it will be fine a little out is ok , 10mm+ i would be worried. if it annoys you just cut wooden shims and place under the legs

Edited by Syndicate

nice looking steup, good filters, lights etc.......

BUT do you have styrofoam between tank and stand?

if not, tank will likely split or crack on base.

but ya if ya gots da styrofoam there, should be fine

Got plywood with 10mm foam on top underneath tank, Should be ok?

Yeah it is only 5mm out wont notice it when its topped up.

Wouldn't of noticed it if the 2 FX5's didn't pull the water level down when they started.

I am revisting this question again, as I still worry about my tank. It is out on the right hand side to the left hand side (right hand is lower). You only notice this when dropping the level at WC. I wonder if it needs to be chocked up at all on the right hand side to level it? If so what with? Trouble is the tank is now full. Has been set up for 5 weeks now. I asked Mark at Smiths Aquariums today (he helped Gary Maher to deliver the tank) and he said so long as the special feet of the cabinet are all on the floor it should be OK - and the cabinet is sitting firmly on the concrete tiled floor - and yes styrofoam is between tank and cabinet - but still I worry that there might be strain on one end of the tank????? Sorry, should have mentioned, it is a 6 x 20 x 18. I guess reading horror stories is not a great idea eh? About twisting cracked tanks...............Yoiks

Edited by gollys

I have a 6 by 2 by 2, which is about 6 to 8 mm out, been like it for a year. Its sits on Styrofoam and like yours when the pumpis running the water level sits just under the hood line so it looks like a level and you can see it's not level................... it's bloody annoying but the point is, it's bloody annoying but not destructive.

Sit back and enjoy the fishtank, if you ever empty it, pull the tank off and level the base then, if someone says it doesn't matter, then remember this thread and go with your first thought .....................................

a level tank is what you wanted!!!!!!!!!

cheers

garry

Ok so came home from work and measured - I measured from the top of the tank to the waterline.

I measured the back level of the tank (from the side) and it is 3.8cm on the left & 3.8cm on the right.

So the back must be level I guess.

I measured the front level (again from top of tank to water line) and the left hand side is 3.5 cm and the right had side is 4cm.

So guess my tank is out 5mm on the right hand side (the floor falls away)

Tank is on tiled concrete floor.

So guess I should not worry for 5mm????????