LeroyRiding

5x2x2 running twi fx5's

This is more of a question really, I have my 5x2x2 (Gary Maher) running 2x fx5's (because I can[sold a tank and had one spare, so why not use it!])

What media should I use in each? as in run one purely for mechanical and the other for bio?

Currently running

fx5-1 = substrate pro/ehime noodle(the small ones)/big hollow noodle

fx5-2 = carbon/purigen/ammonia remover/phosphate pad (that green shiz)/aquaone noodle/aquaone matrix

How should I setup the pipes?

Currently:

fx5-1 = standard inlet at one end and standard outlet at the other pointing slightly up to ripple surface and airate.

fx5-2 = pvc pipe run to 5mm off the tank surface to suck up poop from the bottom (no substrate currently/ probably won’t add some either(like the reflective bottom )

And pvc Telstra spec 90degree bend on the outlet, gives the Oscars something to swim into :)

Current inhabitants of the tank (won’t change much at all, maybe add a big pleco :D)

1x 10" Red Oscar

1x 8" albino Tiger Oscar

1x 9" silver shark

2x 3-4" Silver Dollars

(Also what other tank mates could I have that would look nice, and get on well with what I have?)

Thanks in advance

(will get photos some time :))

fx5-2 = carbon/purigen/ammonia remover/phosphate pad (that green shiz)/aquaone noodle/aquaone matrix

hi,

im not entirely sure how you should set up the pipes but i am very curious as to why you have carbon and ammonia remover in the cannister? i mean they would both be fine if they didnt need to be changed every 8 or so weeks. i'd rather have some sort of bio balls in there instead.

(Also what other tank mates could I have that would look nice, and get on well with what I have?)

maybe try a Gold Saum, or a gourami of some sort but make sure its big enough so your oscars dont pick on it. kissing gouramis get pretty big so one of them might go well.

k

hi,

im not entirely sure how you should set up the pipes but i am very curious as to why you have carbon and ammonia remover in the cannister? i mean they would both be fine if they didnt need to be changed every 8 or so weeks. i'd rather have some sort of bio balls in there instead.

maybe try a Gold Saum, or a gourami of some sort but make sure its big enough so your oscars dont pick on it. kissing gouramis get pretty big so one of them might go well.

I clean out the caniseters every month. . so doesnt bother me. . .

it does look a wee bit technical hey. HEHEHE!

It does, Although I have been thinking, what if I fill one FX5 with mechanical filtration, and the other with bio filtration only, and haven one FX5 feed into the other? so still one inlet form tank and one outlet, but running through the 2 FX5's mechanical first then bio second? Can anyone see a problem with this? the only issue I can see is that the mechanical filtration might slow the water down to much before it hits the second filter? or would this not be a problem? also would the FX5 have enough power in it to put inline with it one of those pond type canisters, the ones without pumps? so use the FX5 and a pond filter inline instead of the dual FX5's just another thought?

opinions on all the above would be awesome!

Never thought of a gurami as a tank mate. . Ive been thinking of more silver dollars. . . maybe a saratoga? or would that be a bad idea? Sorry I dont really know much, still getting into the hobby.

i got 6 large dollars with a 50cms+ lei used to have 2 but one escaped .... you could do that with the fx5's but have you thought about modding them?

have a read

The Fluval Fx5 by Hagen

yeah ive been over that site a lot, but nothing mentioned about running 2 inline. . . just thought it would allow me to clean out the mechanical filtration without having to disturn the bio filtration, yet still keep the big particles and stuff out of the bio so the ability to leave the bio go without cleaning for a lot longer = better for tank?

so no-one can see any reason why i shouldnt do this?

any ideas on if I do run 2 inline as to what media would be best, and how to fill it?