origin6

Shell Dwellers\Shells

i am setting up a shell dweller tank and was wondering if anyone knows what the best lfs would be to pick up some shells and shell dwellers,

i was in pet city on the weekend and they had a few shell dwellers in there but didnt see any shells for them altho i didnt ask as they where really busy at the time and i have just put the water in the tank and it needs to cycle first so i wasn't in a big hurry.

also any info or advise on keeping them would be appreciated as well, i am not sure what species i am going to get yet or if i can even mix species?

thanks in advance

Shellies are great fun, good choice! What size tank are they going in? Sounds like your going to have about a hundred thousand shellies soon Brock with all that space for them! :)

I'll have to check out the hermit section at petcity next time i'm in, thanks for the tip Alibi! :idea:

Also thought i'd through in my 2cents: http://www.qldaf.com/forums/live-stock-14/fs-l-ornatapinnis-fry-52538/ :)

`I mostly use Apple Snail shells . but I have many other types - whatever I can scrounge . I also include some small clay flower pots with my breeders .

Brevis in particular like the apple snail shells an actually move them around the tank to suit themselves .

I tried PVC elbows but the fish did not like them with the exception of the multies which will breed anywhere they can find .

or you could try a restaurant supplies for some escargo shells ( about $75 for a not very big box last time I checked a couple of years ago ) and 2 dollar shops have shells occasionally also I have read on here about some Bunnings stores having them but have no personal experience of this .

I would like to check out Pet City but due to injuries I am recovering from I seldom drive more than a few kays if at all so Mt Gravatt is just too far .

yep as was posted above, we got ours from bunnings, you buy a bag for $5.00 and you should get several from a bag, plus lots of smaller ones for fry to hide in, just pick the right bags as some don't have many good shells,

another option is to search ebay,

When I go to rocky in october I will be shell shopping up there as well... If I come across something special I will do a bulk buy and help out the rest of us shellie owners. Ive bought some from bunnings but I need some bigger ones than what is in those bags. I reckon I might go to annerley aquarium and see what they have there in shells and fish. will keep you guys posted on what they have.

hey everyone thanks for all the suggestions got some great tips there, hopefully i can find some good shells.

The tank they are going into is a 2 foot by 18 by 18 inches about 110 litres i didnt have much room for the tank is why i went for this size the substrate is crushed coral crushed really fine so its like sand i went with this cause i read they need a ph of about 8.6 or there abouts and they like to sift through the sand.

Also how many shell dwellers do you think i could get into this size tank?

and is there any other small tang that likes the open water as the tank is quite tall and i am assuming that the shellies wont stray to far from the bottom and the safety of there shells so there will be all that open water up top

was looking through some shell dwellers and i came across these Altolamprologus sp. "Compressiceps i really like them will they be ok for my tank? are they available in brisbane? they are on cichlidsdirect.com.au has anyone used this site?

Alto Comps aren't true shell dwellers but they will use big shells and barnacle clusters to breed in

They will suit 3ft tanks but you should start with a few, let them pair off and remove the rest before they get killed

There are a few around, Gold, Gold head, Firefin, Mbita etc.

usually around the $20-$25ea mark

Also there are Alto Calvus black and white

However there is a true shell dwelling Alto Comp called Alto Comp Dwarf Sumbu, I have a trio but they aren't breeding at the moment

There are some at Smiths Aquarium for $80ea though

shon how much where your sumbu comps? if you dont mind me asking..

im just thinking that as i have never kept tangs before i might look at getting something a bit cheaper as i would hate to kill 100s of dollars worth of fish if i do something wrong

i seem to be going allright with my malawis tho