Is it absolutely mandatory to strip African mouth brooders of their fry and when is best? What happens if you let nature take it's coarse and allow the Mum's to carry full term?

Should the females carrying, be removed from the tank? I have 10 in a 4 foot tank. I believe they are 9 F 1 M.

I think he was referring to the stripping info, i would always say strip if you want fry, after the first couple of tries you will get the go of it :D thats what i did, um for me it was between 14-16 days but that varies between species. But unless you can offload fry i would stear away from it, i have a couple hundred fry still and cannot get rid of them, i think i could sell them sexed as colonies soon enough :S

Yeah, bit naughty I guess. Now how do I "get the eggs out of their mouths" so to speak? Tried with my peacocks this morning with no success. One of the females in particular has been holding for a while and is getting a little skinny. They are a good line from a reputable breeder. I've made a tumbler by putting one kitchen strainer inside another with an air stone between and floating it in the tank with the colony so I have the same water parameters.Will this work?

You do not want to strip them as eggs, you want to strip them as fry, i would have a box ready, a net will not do as the other fish in the tank will smash them through the net and just kill them (Past experiences). That will work but if you strip as fry just put htem in a floating box with the ends cut out with fly screen in there instead.

Youtube stripping cichlids there are a couple video's but basicly get the fish and hold it out of water, just keep the head in the water and gently massage hte bottom of the throat, if this does not work you can use the toothpick way, just open the mouth with the toothpick and the babies will come out, and give a bit of a massage to assist with it

let us know how it goes

I use a big syringe with tank water. you just open her mouth and gently squirt it in over a bucket of tank water then syphon the fry back into a fry saving devider in your tank.

Just make sure you have got them all before returning her to your tank.

Edited by Steve_bsc

I'll take some pictures of how I do it with my tangs and it might help

With tangs, most of the harder to stuff breed never holds full term in aquariums

So usually they get stripped at about 5-8 days time

Still have egg sacks, they go into a strainer, until the egg sacks are mostly gone

then into a small container etc.

But yeah tomorrow I'll strip a fish and get some pictures ;)

edit: too hard to do it all at once lol, so never mind sorry

Edited by shon982

I usually strip because it lets me do a heap at once.

Right now I have 14 dragon blood peacock females alone to be stripped in 2 days.

Call me lazy, but I extract fry from lots of females at once and then just raise them together in a tank

skipping the fry saver part

when ever possible

altho with half as many tanks

and a house move almost upon me

thats not gonna be possible much for a bit.

I squirt water into mouth to flush fry out.

Yeh I use the method Donny taught me and it has never once failed me. I now skip fry savers aswell and put them staright into a community fry tank after i lost a whole batch of eureka red fry to

a couple of dozen hungry peacocks attacking them through the mesh of the fry saver.