steve6610

rainbows cichlids have bred

just went and checked our fish and found tons of rainbow cichlid fry, (Herotilapia multispinosa,) didn't even know they had laid, we had 6 in the tank and knew there was a breeding pair but didn't expect fry yet, lol, now i have to decide do we move the fry, move the extra cichlids or just leave them be, the breeding pair stand out with there breeding colours, but on a quick look without moving anything i could only see 2 extras, so i'm guessing the other 2 are hiding, lol, or gone, i'm thinking we should move the extras as most likely they will eat the fry or be killed by the pair,

not sure i will get pics as our camera is living with jules daughter taking pics of our new grand daughter,

thanks kev, we will move them asap,

lol, yep goneself, they didn't take long to settle in,

i forgot, have you had them raise the fry before, or should i hedge my bets both ways and remove the extras and half the fry,

i will say they look stunning in there breeding colours, :)

Yeah, really underrated fish, IMO. I've had them raise fry to free swimming stage, back when I only had the three larger ones in the tank. Then there was a storm where we lost power for nearly a full day, and they ate the fry...wether that was through stress or stupidity I have no idea, but probably better to err on the safe side and remove some. Plus, you've probbly noticed the aggression does increase..I doubt they will kill anyone, but it's always a risk leaving parents with fry in a community setting. I'm so glad they bred for you..now you won't be able to stop them!

haha thanks, if they breed to many they will make good feeders, (just don't tell jules)

these are already free swimming, thats how i saw them, if we weren't leaving in the morning i would have moved all the fry into the next tank, same water, same temps as they are in my system, also just got a batch of sevs free swimming, they ate the last lot and laid again with in a week, so i might move the male from that tank now too,

so much to do, so little time, lol,

thanks kev, we will move them asap,

lol, yep goneself, they didn't take long to settle in,

i forgot, have you had them raise the fry before, or should i hedge my bets both ways and remove the extras and half the fry,

i will say they look stunning in there breeding colours, :)

Yes, I had 'em raise the fry, although the male quite often got chased away by the female. Mature early don't they? In the past I've removed the parents and for some reason the fry died off one by one. Next time I moved half to hedge my bets and the lot survived. Go figure?

excellent parents, equal to convicts in my experience

have had 3 pairs with fry at once in a 2 footer!

but best to remove spare adults now you have parents in breeding colour

i always split up fry, some in fry saver, some in fry tank and leave some with parents

only way to be sure

oh and get pictures of parents in brood dress!

helps sell the fry lol

thanks kev and donny, as always a wealth of info and help, i haven't got the time until next week, but i might try moving some when we get back, at this stage the 4 extras have been removed, and there are heaps of fry, fingers crossed they will be still there next week, we might wait and see if we get a second pair then give the 2 extras away,

hope to get my camera back tonight so will try for pics before we leave in the morning,

mine will be getting crushed cichlid flake and a protein fry powder to start, i can't remember the brand as its been put into a container, but it seems to do ok, when we get home they will get bbs and then get crushed ocean nutrition brine shrimp plus flakes

bugger, i will have to move a bio-filter into their tank in the morning, i forgot thats the only tank on my system that only has the sump running it with no extra air, lol, just steal one from the top 6fter, it has 2 plus the sump running it,