radley86

unusual pair???

so past few days i've noticed me horse face and my blue acara now are nearly always together hanging out down back corner of my tank and constantly chasing away other fish away from there little area... also the blue acara is also doing some crazy looking vibrate movement thing haha... so is this like mean they are pairing off or just some other unusual random fish bonding??

haha ahh we'll see what happens i guess.. for the frowners it's not like i'm forcing them, there not the only fish in the tank.. might just let it all run its course.. if it gets to the fry, they probs will all get eaten by other fish in the tank anyhow

I've got a Cuban and a jag that are inseparable and have bred many times though the fry always get eaten by the other fish in the tank. I did keep a couple out of the last batch to see what they would look like and they look pretty cool so far.Although I am gonna get a Cuban girl for him as they are awesome fish.

im also having a similar issue :S strange to be my fish too,

ok i Have 2 Black calvus and about 7 Red Top Zebs,

So i see The Dominant male Zebra is dancing around the larger calvus, (breeding size but never breed) They swim around the tank together noticably together and close, They do not fight however, now they have been going in the Pot together,

This also could be a pair ?

some interesting responses i guess. i would kinda see the different breeding behaviours of the said spp. being the biggest hurdle. that being that one is a site nest builder.....and the other a mouth brooder. if its a male blue acara he may be stumped as to where to fertilize and if its a male horse face he may wonder why the female is not picking up the eggs ?

alright so been bit now and yeah no eggs/fry nothing, still acting like a pair digging everywhere, shaking and claiming bout half the tank to themselves... but now this is annoying me because nothing is going to come from it, but the horseface is still being a bastard chasing every other fish into the other half the tank...

so how would i go about splitting these 2 up?? just take 1 out for few days and than put him back in and it will be like starting like new for them and no memory of their past love affair haha?? or is there no chance of keeping them together in that 1 tank anymore since they have paired up and may have to get rid of 1...??

I have a female jag and female festae that pair and breed regularly together. Of course, the eggs are never fertilised but they go through the whole routine of protecting 'em from the ot her fish, and picking off the ones with fungus, which happens to be all of 'em :(

haha crazy... so have you tried splitting them for a bit than putting them back to see if it breaks their little pair off act?

No. They're in a display tank and as long as they're paired, the festae always keeps her colour up. She's this colour all the time. If I move one or the other, she may tone down her colour so we keep 'em together

IMG_05868ft.jpg?timestamp=1313759760093

redlarge.jpg?timestamp=1307705535377

wow she looks great that makes sense for your circumstance!

haha but so what about my situation of wanting to split them up temporarily but than still put them back in the same big fish tank without any of the pairing up anger issues... is it possible some how???