Well I thought I would get this started to get a few people interested. I have just picked up an all in one tank which is bout 40L. The light inside the hood had a short in the transformer so I thought it best to replace that. I am looking at using the 3x3w 12v cree downlights. I am trying to win a 6pk on ebay from a local seller and will be looking at mounting these in myself. The tank also will have a dark substrate and I will more than likely a soil under that. I will also be putting some drift wood and plants in there as well. Hopefully I can get some L's as well so the lucky winner will get an all in one with everything incl fish!!!! Planting in the tank will consist of an amazon sword, anubias, java fern, java moss.

whats do you guys think of this.?

12v will do nothing. there is no 240 running to the tank at all.... it all runs on one 240/12v ac adaptor. This is why the other light was faulty, there was a 12-240 step up transformer in there and it was buzzing and carrying on when the light went on so it was very unsafe. cree leds are simple to use and wire up. It is no different than playing round with automotive wiring. I dont believe that the lights will do anything like that as I will be doing this right and all connections will be hidden etc. I cant find strip leds that are bright enough and ccfls dont produce enough light either. I can even get it tested by the electricians at work and tagged so that people know it is safe.

sounds brilliant... cree's are superb lights... if you don't win the lights your after - have you considered forum member 'peterlam' and his strip LED's. We have just bought some off him to light our 6ft and they are awesome, plenty of light and would have plenty of light for a 40litre.