I have read about purigen and wondered what peoples thoughts are on it? I have a 6 x 18 x 20 tank (approx 445 litres) and run a UVS and Eheim canister filter - would adding Purigen to my tank (freshwater planted) be of any advantage to me? Also how much would I need to add to the filter? Do you just put it in with the Seachem "The Bag"? And re-generate it each filter change?

Just saw my typo in the thread header - Mods can you please correct it to purigen?

Sorry

Edited by Peter

Put in more than what you need as it just means you will not need to recharge it as soon. The other thing try and get two lots as that way when you clean your filter you can take one out to recharge and put the other one in and just rotate it otherwise you will have to dismantle your filter twice. The first time when you clean it then again after it has been recharged. Some members suggest after recharging it to leave it overnight in a Ph solution to stop it raising the Ph.

Can someone explain what it actually does though? My tank is pretty clear and I run a UVS - but sometimes I have things floating around in there (like small particles etc) - does it help clear that sort of thing? How much would I need for 400 litres? (and yes, good idea about having two lots).

You mentioned PH - I have low PH in my tanks, so Tech Den do you mean to soak it in some PH Up or Down??? Or neutral regulator?

I read on a previous thread about how it increases the Ph. You may want to PM Bidkev as he mentioned it in the thread. I have not noticed it myself but I rarely check Ph anyways. The thread may help you and if you do a little additional searching it should cover all your questions as there is heaps of info in threads here.

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/diseases-fish-care-water-discussion-12/purigen-its-effects-acidic-amazon-additives-52262/

Purigen is regenerated using bleach/chlorine

The only way ph may raise is if you don't soak the Purigen in a final soak of water with double dosed prime or safe.

Purigen will polish your water crystal clear. I rate it aswell as macropore which is virtually the same product but a little cheaper, depending where you shop and what quantity you buy...

Purigen is regenerated using bleach/chlorine

The only way ph may raise is if you don't soak the Purigen in a final soak of water with double dosed prime or safe.

Purigen will polish your water crystal clear. I rate it aswell as macropore which is virtually the same product but a little cheaper, depending where you shop and what quantity you buy...

Yeh but if you have low ph/soft water it will still do it,

I soak mine in the above solution but with the seachem discus buffer added to it and it hasn't raised my ph yet.

Just a quick question, what ph do u mean by low?

Cav

I'm with Cav. Always soak mine in discus buffer...............just a quarter of a tea spoon and it neutralises the propensity to raise the PH.

Also, don't believe seachems claim that it only has 8 recharge life. I have some that I've re-charged 18 times and it can still clear a tannin stained tank in 24hrs. It loses it's original colour slightly (my old stuff now gets 3 bleach soaks) but it still works.

seachem recommends using good bleach to regenerate it, then alot of seachem prime to neutralise the residual bleach, and then discus buffer to remove the PH buffering ability.

Macropore is much cheaper and easier to use, aswell as cheaper and easier to regenerate.

i own both and fail to see a difference in water quality between the products.

Yeh but if you have low ph/soft water it will still do it,

Cav

Maybe I should have thought about it a bit more before replying... I only keep hard high ph water so don't see a shift in ph at all..... Didn't think about the poor low ph discus keepers lol

seachem recommends using good bleach to regenerate it, then alot of seachem prime to neutralise the residual bleach, and then discus buffer to remove the PH buffering ability.

Macropore is much cheaper and easier to use, aswell as cheaper and easier to regenerate.

i own both and fail to see a difference in water quality between the products.

I just bought a jar of Macropore, I can't get over how small it is, found it very hard to load into the bag. Can I use a swimming pool filter sock ? Is Purigen a larger granule in comparison to macropore?

I just bought a jar of Macropore, I can't get over how small it is, found it very hard to load into the bag. Can I use a swimming pool filter sock ? Is Purigen a larger granule in comparison to macropore?

I bought macropore from AOA and got 2 filter socks that day as well that they reccomended.. It might be best buying the proper size bags for it..

Works well IMO.