Guest 1

OK so i'm teetering on the edge... just about to dip my toes.

After a few discussions with various people and ALOT of help (DFF on this site), I have decided to try salt water. I have started with a small tank (40L) and at this stage it will be fish only.

So far I have set up the tank, Salt water in coral substrate in and that is all.

Hydromoter is a floating one and it reads in the green section so all is good there

PH is 9.0 and am just waiting a day to get the live rock.

I was advised that it was best that way and I have to work tonight so works out well.

I will be bothering people with questions along the way and putting up pics too so any advice is welcome.

DSCF0724.jpg

Its an all in one aqua one stock standard ATM. Has unbuilt filter with carbon n ceramics. Light is standard too ATM. I haven't done any other tests as I'm about to leave for work but will put more info up tomorrow.

Freaking out slightly over ph level at this stage

Its an all in one aqua one stock standard ATM. Has unbuilt filter with carbon n ceramics. Light is standard too ATM. I haven't done any other tests as I'm about to leave for work but will put more info up tomorrow.

Freaking out slightly over ph level at this stage

I wouldn't freak out too much. If I were to guess, then I would surmise that you are using a salt mix and didn't let it mix with a powerhead for 24 hours prior to use. It may stabilize over a few days. What salt mix (if any) did you use? Usually just mixed its not higher than 8.5. Are you using an actual marine substrate or crushed marble? Aragonite won't buffer above 8.3-8.4.

I would make sure that you test that little creature every day! As the ocean is such a HUGE body of water changes happen so slowly. Most marine fish/inverts can't handle rapid changes and that is what happens in little tanks. Also marine fish are side to side swimmers that like lots of horizon to swim in. I'm assuming that you are making way for a pair of clowns? They stay close to home and hover, they shouldn't mind the little tank as long as it is stable and your temps don't flucuate :)

The trick with small tanks, even for pro's, is less is more.

The trick with marine tanks, even for pro's, is HURRY UP AND WAIT!

so a small marine tank is all about keeping a small amount of stock in the most patient manner possible.

On the plus side, water changes are much easier!

I wouldn't freak out too much. If I were to guess, then I would surmise that you are using a salt mix and didn't let it mix with a powerhead for 24 hours prior to use. It may stabilize over a few days. What salt mix (if any) did you use? Usually just mixed its not higher than 8.5. Are you using an actual marine substrate or crushed marble? Aragonite won't buffer above 8.3-8.4.

I would make sure that you test that little creature every day! As the ocean is such a HUGE body of water changes happen so slowly. Most marine fish/inverts can't handle rapid changes and that is what happens in little tanks. Also marine fish are side to side swimmers that like lots of horizon to swim in. I'm assuming that you are making way for a pair of clowns? They stay close to home and hover, they shouldn't mind the little tank as long as it is stable and your temps don't flucuate :)

Thankyou

I tested the water after it was mixed and only 5 mins into letting it go through the powerhead/filter. I tested the PH again this morning and it has come down so I will see what happens this afternoon after a nap. lol. I think that simple looks alot nicer and am not sure whether I want clowns (as was the original plan) or a shrimp tank. Will just take it slow and read more.

Actually finding that reading heaps is so interesting. its like a parrallel universe haha.

It is right beside my bed so I will be around it everyday to check and maintain as its a good reminder if its in my face. Having said that I visit my system at least three times a day to check it out and thats in the garage.

I think its alot easier for me to wait it out because I have breeders and fry to look after too.

Loving the advice, Thankyou