Slycone

12v tank setup

Hello iam new here but looking into setting up a tank that runs on 12v dc power

as in battery which charges with solar/wind turbine to power a 12v pump.

I have 3 cpu water coolers not sure on the flow rate but thinking of using these as they have a long life just wondering if anyone else has setup a fish tank that costs nothing to run .

its a nice thought especially when the power bill / water bill comes in .. ugh !! the arguments over that .. lol

closest ive come is building a LED light fixture ( made and working well ) and buying solar panels to run it, but not actually gotten any futher as im a bit lazy lol

only issue is youd need a battery as a buffer to keep a constant amount of power of the ocasional cloudy spell. especially if ya running air pumps and filters etc

how about using an invertor running off a battery, then hookup your solar/wind generator up to charge the battery, or maybe a couple of batteries... that way you don't have to try and source 12 volt pumps, just need to try and keep the wattage way down.

My folks are running a similar setup in their caravan, also can be hooked up to 240volt if it's a cloudy day and the batteries can't keep up.

there is a caravan/solar place up here in the caboolture industrial estate, near the bribie interchange, they may be able to point you in the right direction

edit: just read your post again, whats the flow rate on cpu cooler pumps, is it going to be sufficient for the tank you will be running??

current specs of 1 of my cpu coolers name come off which makes it hard

Rated voltage: 12V-6vDC

Rated current: 0.55A

Capacity: 3.5L/Min

atm i have a battery bank setup in my shed which runs all my fluro lighting and is charged with 2 solar panels and 2 small wind turbines.

i just swapped my small 5 watt solar panel and regulator to my spare deep cycle battery to see how long it will run for may need to add a wind-turbine for night time charging but ill see

I am running a 60W panel to a regulator on a 100amp hour battery. This is used to do lighting only (LED) across 6ft and 2 4ft. The only reason I don't run the pumps (would use an inverter to step up from 12 to 220) is that the power usage would exceed the panel input. Also the need for the heater is a major concern as heater take up the highest power usage. There are 12v kettle style heaters but they would need a good bit of work to monitor the temps for on off operation or use the inverter again (That reminds me I have a new 300W one to sell). At a rough estimate for one 4ft with a 100W heater, LED lights and for example a Fluval 404 (just cause I have one) would need at least 300W of panels to keep it running.

The hard thing is the $$$. The 'free power' costs big $$$ in the battery and panels so set aside $700 to kick off the single tank set up.