I have recently changed my set up from individually filtered tanks to a sump set up and now one tank full (12x5cm al bn and 5x8-12cm commons) has developed pinhead sized golden spots lumps.They now spend all of their time in the return water stream and some of them are fanning constantly. I have other bn tanks connected to this sump and they are showing no signs of these spots. In fact the 202,s are out most of the time and seem happy. I have gradually changed from town water to tank but I think that if the problem was the water the others, especially the new fry (breed in the new setup) would have showed signs as well. Any help would be great. I will be getting the water tested tomorrow. I am thinking I will fit the internal filter again and isolate this tank!

Hey a photo would help if you can .. and of course results from the tests of the water

going from your description it almost sounds like white spot .. or ick ..

id isolarte the tank straight a way and chuck a running, fully cycled filter on the tank ASAP !!

easiest way to treat white spot is bump the temp up to 30 deg and add salt to the tank ..

1 gram / L would be okay .. up the water changes, and do big gravel vacs ......raising the temp speeds

up the life cycle of the ick and gravel vac removes the bug once it gets back n to the gravel. salt helps with healing.

water isn't going to tell you if its velvet or not, and tbh i'm not overly sure stressing the fish out more is such a crash hot idea, but if you can't get a photo up then I guess its the only way you'll know for sure.

let us know what the lfs reckons :)

Great minds Michael :P

Sounds like Velvet with the gold specks, have a look at it with a torch too.

Catfish fanning fins or more so rubbing their fins on themselves IMO, is a sign of an external parasite like Velvet or Whitespot.

Anything with Malachite Green, Copper Sulphate or Dimetridazole will help.

Cheers

Stace

Great minds Michael :P

Sounds like Velvet with the gold specks, have a look at it with a torch too.

Catfish fanning fins or more so rubbing their fins on themselves IMO, is a sign of an external parasite like Velvet or Whitespot.

Anything with Malachite Green, Copper Sulphate or Dimetridazole will help.

Cheers

Stace

good work chipper's