brockssracer

Changing tank designs.

As I am moving into shellies now I want to change the layout of the tanks that I have. From what I have read with these guys as they are bottom dwellers the foot print is the most important part with their homes rather than depth. In saying so I was thinking of going to a 4ft L 2.5 W and 1ft high. As they are not a high tank would I still get away with using 6mm glass or would I have to go to 8mm due to the width and the volume of water that they would hold. The reason I am thinking of this size tank is I can have a 3 tier setup and the overall height is still quite low and will allow easy cleaning and plenty of area for territory. Does anyone have a opinion or experience with this size tank as to its construction etc.

Thanks Jeff

yeah I have a 4x15x18 in 5 or 6mm, but the difference is that it is 2.5ft wide so it will be 48 x 30 x 12. this site Calculate Aquarium Glass Thickness | Aquarium Tools says 270L and 4mm glass is fine with a safety factor of 2.5. I only want to have 1 or 2 braces across the tank. I guess I should give mary-annes a call and see what they can do.