gollys

Eheim Air Pump - 200 - Noisy

Ok so the new tank has been set up 4-5 weeks now - and I have an Eheim Air Pump (twin 200 outlet model) running.

I have the little round disc diffuser bubble thing they supply on one outlet and a bubble wand on the other (buried under gravel) - all was fine for the first 3 weeks, all I could hear was bubbles, not the pump sounds like a tractor in the living room!!!!! Not sure how to fix this or what to do, any suggestions?

Of a night I have been turning it off and putting on an old Bubblio pump to run the air stone as it is so much quieter. I am quite puzzled by this, any suggesions?

I am not sure how to fix it and thought it would stay quiet when it is only new? I was very happy with it for the first 3 weeks.

I wish to add though the flow is still great, no blockages. Just it has become sooooooo noisy !!!!

I love schegos.

expensive but beautiful.

Golly try find where the sound is. Does the pump make noise when held by cord? Or when styrofoam is under it?

Yes seems to make a noise if I hold it or sit it on something soft (like carpet) - drives me nuts. Shego - I have heard they are good - can you get those with two outlets - what size would be recommended for a 6 x 20 x 18 - just to drive a couple of airstones?

Any idea what size is good for a tank my size? I shall ring around the sponsors and see what their prices are too.

I like the Eheim one for power - but got so noisy in such a short time, only running for 4-5 weeks.

I have heard Rena are good too, any others used these?

I have googled reviews, quite a few complain they are noisy - has anyone had any experience with noise on these things? Also is it easy to change the diaphram in them? I believe the Eheims are difficult to replace. Sorry for all my Questions.

DF Floating.......I assume though that the bigger one would be noisier? I am not needing it to drive any equipment apart from a bubble wall.

bubble walls need more air than any other aquarium item

go the big one

it will have the balls to pump deep down

but yes bigger is noisier.

end of the day

if it is going to be drama

maybe a bubble wall is not for you?

If ya find yaself in petcity the ar620 tank display being constructed uses the most powerful one. Yea its in a shop with background noise but its dam quiet.

Diaphram is medium difficulty

but easy for me

heck I have changed so many now I have been cleared to operate on human models

LOL - very funny !!!

I do have a planted tank, but like the bubble wall as a quirky feature - but bury the wand as I like the big gloopy bubbles. I currently have the Eheim 200 running that - along with one of the disc diffusers they sell with the pump. I am thinking maybe I should disconnect the bubble wall and put the other Ehiem disc on that instead?

Then if I want to run the bubble wall, just get another pump for that if I want to enjoy that.

I know with planted tanks (mine is Low tech and only gets a daily dose of ferts and excel) they say not to run bubbles at all - but reports conflict on that theory too. I just found last summer (was my first summer with a tank) that the temps got up to 33 degrees in my tank, so I thought I had to run bubbles for the fish?

Edited by gollys

If the ehiem is noisy take it back now....as it will only get worse....

I presume it should be under warranty....

I brought it on-line from Aquarium Supermarket - so not sure how that will work but can contact them. The funny thing though is this, I made a special trip up to Brissy today and went to Smiths Aquarium and shelled out $130 for a new Shego Mk 350LPH pump - then come home to find my Eheim is quiet !!!!!

That must be MURPHYS LAW don't you think? Last night is was so loud I had to come downstairs in the dark (after treading on the dog) to turn it off coz I could hear it in bed - come home today to find it is quiet. Likely wont last I guess, but just thought that was funny.

Can someone suggest the best thing to sit an air pump on?

Would an egg carton be good? Seem to remember hearing about those for absorbing sound.

At the moment I am not going to touch it seeing it is quiet.

My daughter has the Eheim 100 model and she has now brought the smaller Shego too - noticed it does not have quite the same strong output at the Eheim does. I have not tried my new Shego as the Eheim is behaving at this moment.

Crazy thing, I did not do anything apart from turn it off through the night, then back on this morning.

Edited by gollys

Ok when it gets noisy I shall lift it onto a sponge, too scared to touch it this second as it is being quiet.

Would a thick kitchen sponge be what you mean?

I guess will be good to put the new shego on one too when I swap over when the Eheim starts to rattle again.

Kitchen sponge or car sponge either one does not matter.

Here are your 2 choices.

Leave the Eheim there knowing that it has a fault and hopeful that you will get more time out of it. (Your just being hopeful)

Try and return the Ehiem and use the good one. (Safer and better option - you do not know what will happen with the Eheim)

Hope you have a one way valve on it so if it fails the water does not return down the air line.

I do have a valve on it, to be honest i am not sure if the E is faulty as such, but just got noisy? It was quiet for the first 3-4 weeks - could only hear it faintly in the cabinet and hear the bubbles only, but the last week it has become so noisy - so not sure what has happened there. Last night I completely turned it off and only turned it one this morning again - went off to the LFS shops and came home to notice it is quiet (for the moment).

Anyway, shall get myself a good sponge - to sit it on. I just thought how typical this is for me - to have a problem then go and spend the $$$$ to find it is behaving when I come home. This is how it goes. But hey was worth the trip out today - went to Redlands also for the first time and saved a packet of $$$$ there on stocking up products.

Ok now another two questions:

(1) sitting on a sponge - as the pumps can get warm - could that be a fire hazard (Ok so stop laughing.......I just "had" to ask")

(2) I have not connected the Shego yet - but wanted to ask if a bubble wand is placed UNDER the gravel (which is fantastic for big gloopy bubbles) can that put too much pressure on the pump? I have a 2 foot one buried currently whilst running the Eheim. Or is it better on top of the gravel?