kasman

how to sterilise filter media??

you guys can go for your life with the humour, I got some serious answers outya first :lol: .

I knew giving it a good old boil would do the trick but wasnt sure about some of the faom not liking the high temps - as in melting.

Im not up on my polymers - even though I should as I covered it at uni - but yeh didnt want it in a blob in the bottom of my saucepan.

dont have condies, hmmm, might just use some bleach,,,, nah, i'll boil the crap out of it.

i poured the media into a small bucket or container and boil the jug and tip the jug water in with sea salt also in there and stirred

ahh now theres a good answer...... SALT.

as a rule of thumb..... freshwater stuff doesnt like salt......

so boil up some water.... disolve as much natural sea salt as possible and let soak. (make sure to use non-iondised salt, with no anti-caking agent)

I use a saturated salt solution .

I dissolve as much pool salt as will dissolve in some hot water ( just from the tap ) in a 20 litre bucket ( or 60 litre garbage bin for large items ) and leave it soak overnight

longer if I get distracted and forget about it ( what can I say I am old and my memory is not what it once was ) When I finally remember I wash it out thoroughly with clean tap water . I also occasionally use Condies crystals but it does stain things .

Salt is cheap and pretty effective .