the cichlid kid

Lighting for fish bowl?

I set up a fish bowl (3L) yesterday with a fighting fish. He is a really dark, almost black fish and is over dark substrate making him quite difficult to see at times. So because of this I want a light for the bowl.

I have been looking at those clip on LED lights for reading at night, they run on batteries and only have 1 LED.

Will one LED will be sufficient to light up the bowl?

Otherwise the next step up seems to be 20+ LED's with 3 brightness settings but I'm thinking that may be too bright?

Any advice or reccomendations appreciated,

thanks,

Beau

I would recommend a proper fish tank, circular tanks send fish blind and have been banned in some countries. You can also pick up a light that clips on to square tanks and will light it up nicely and they are really cheap. Bowls are not designed to keep fish in, so no one makes lights for bowls unless they make the light and bowl combo, which are usually way too small for a fighter and the poor fish dies in less than 2 weeks.

Also as Betta's are tropical fish, it makes heating a bowl very difficult.

Edited by 175Myles

I would recommend a proper fish tank, circular tanks send fish blind and have been banned in some countries. You can also pick up a light that clips on to square tanks and will light it up nicely and they are really cheap. Bowls are not designed to keep fish in, so no one makes lights for bowls unless they make the light and bowl combo, which are usually way too small for a fighter and the poor fish dies in less than 2 weeks.

You make a good point :)

I got told once, "not sure if it's true" but apparently, If you look at your fish side on directly in the middle of the fish's body starting from the back of the eye is a faint line which ends at it's tail. The also another line above that one but rounded, same position. Apparently the are called "lateral lines" these lines apparently help a fish sense movement.

So for example if you put a fish in a normal rectangular tank sound hits the glass only on the panel it's directed at then rebounds hits the fishes lateral lines which will make the fish aware of where it is and what's I'm it's wag and what's around.

As where u put a fish in a bowl, the sound is reflected completely in a 360 degree which means the fish thinks it's surrounded by something so to speak or can't do much.

The point is that apparently the fish becomes paranoid and loses it's mind then dies.

Circular bowls are cruel I don't know why LFS sell them.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

You make a good point :)

I got told once, "not sure if it's true" but apparently, If you look at your fish side on directly in the middle of the fish's body starting from the back of the eye is a faint line which ends at it's tail. The also another line above that one but rounded, same position. Apparently the are called "lateral lines" these lines apparently help a fish sense movement.

So for example if you put a fish in a normal rectangular tank sound hits the glass only on the panel it's directed at then rebounds hits the fishes lateral lines which will make the fish aware of where it is and what's I'm it's wag and what's around.

As where u put a fish in a bowl, the sound is reflected completely in a 360 degree which means the fish thinks it's surrounded by something so to speak or can't do much.

The point is that apparently the fish becomes paranoid and loses it's mind then dies.

Circular bowls are cruel I don't know why LFS sell them.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong :)

I dont like fighters or any fish in small bowls either - but did not know that about the lateral line and round bowls - amazing you learn something new everyday and it makes sense.

We have a fighter in a community tank - and he is doing great - our biggest problem with him is stopping him from being a piggy!!

Fighters do love being in a filtered & heated tank though. You can buy an all in one combo from some LFS and they are sufficient - I have a blue planet tank with a light & filter & you just add a small heater - I use it as a Quarantine Tank, but would also be suitable for a fighter.

When fighters are in heated water, their true colours come out.

Regarding round bowls, I have seen heated mats that go under bowls to heat them. But a round bowl is not a nice option for any fish.

Here's 2 tanks I had set up at one stage.

The white sand tank had shrimps and stuff in it.

The fighter tank, only had a fighter in it. Kept him for just under 1 and a half years.

Also, I recommend HOB (Hang on back) filters instead of internals, they are far better and don't stir up the fighter as much.

post-3596-14711625243013_thumb.jpg

post-3596-14711625243171_thumb.jpg