mrzeby

Whats the ongoing issue with importation ? and new laws?

Hey mate, was reading a bit about it today, it's all to do with the indri iris and new batch testing laws introduced by bio-security Queensland, and you CAN still import fish but a high percentage of them will be "tested" in other words killed all in the name of science. The importer gets a fee of $400+ for every fish that is killed for batch testing so in effect, people will not import to my knowledge. Hence why Jodi at fish chick aquatic doesn't import at the moment, and in my opinion from now on in we all need to fuel our own hobby by breeding. Or all hope is lost......

Also the Govt is trying to extend the Noxious Fish List, last year the number of fish on the list for Qld roughly doubled is size & they still have plenty more fish on the grey list that they want to put onto the noxious list. I believe the iridiovirus testing is another issue as stated above for extensive testing of imported fish for the virus. But also they want to drop the number of fish on the list of Allowable Import Fish.

Cheers Brian.

Edited by griff

My understanding is a report on "iridiovirus" recommending New testing procedures has been given to the Minister.....however given the way Labor is travelling I doubt any decision will be made that may cause flack! No decision has been made and if it is there will be a time for importers to get their act together

Fishchick is still importing....she did has a problem with one individual not wanting to pay for an order but that has been sorted

There is actually some changes proposed to the Allowable import list that make sense....reducing the size requirement of some fish and also allowing both sexes in some species!!

Still....interesting times!

however given the way Labor is travelling I doubt any decision will be made that may cause flack!

You can be hopeful on that side or would you think that because they are travelling the way they are, they have to be seen as doing something, so they pick the smaller issues that would have less effect on majority like this one??

I think that if there is any hope on a better import list two things need to be done.

1 Educate the peoples. So that introduced species do not hit our water ways. (Releasing pet fish in creeks and waterways)

2 Clean up our act. Be seen as doing something like creek cleanups - catching and culling pest exotics in our waterways including the ones the Government introduced.

As for the Iridovirus I think we have to accept that until there is better information and data but in the mean time sorting out issues within the industry as in 1 and 2.

My understanding is a report on "iridiovirus" recommending New testing procedures has been given to the Minister.....however given the way Labor is travelling I doubt any decision will be made that may cause flack! No decision has been made and if it is there will be a time for importers to get their act together

Fishchick is still importing....she did has a problem with one individual not wanting to pay for an order but that has been sorted

There is actually some changes proposed to the Allowable import list that make sense....reducing the size requirement of some fish and also allowing both sexes in some species!!

Still....interesting times!

its the goverment mate if there giving you something ,watch the other hand as it will be taking something.