Can't upload a pic but can give a good description. Just got a pair of blue rams which breed every time I get it right for a few days, some fine river gravel which I've tested and isn't carbonate-based or the source of the problem and a few plants (including anubias barteri, ambulia, crypt. wendii) and an aquaclear hang on filter. Chemicals- i just use prime, token aquamaster plant food and regular pH down. \ It wouldn't be the activated carbon removing all of the pH down from the water?

The only real way you will lower your ph and keep it down will be to Use rainwater or another form of softened water source (ro, etc)

Have you tested your gh and kh?

What are the values?

How quick does the swing in ph occur?

Answer these questions and we might be able to help you out.

Cav

heyy, i have the same problem, always comes out around 7.2 - 7.4 and i live on the coast. i have some larger tetras, angel fish, gold and bolivian rams. i added 3 driftwoods in there and its got it to generally stay at about 7.0 but would still like it lower. . . i have activated carbon in mine to and gave up trying to lower it with PH down. . . . fish are all happy so i guess i cant complain!

ph down is usually sodium biphosphate

am referring to liquid pH down.

I've bred neon blue rams in brissy water with no added chemicals or anything except a water softening pillow (which they actually spawned on), but as others have mentioned rainwater is good idea, just put some prime in it anyway :)