kieranbass

Neosilurus Hyrtlii - Golden Eel Tail Catfish/Yellow Fin Eel Tail Catfish

Hi All,

Has anyone had any experience with the above species before, or even know anything about them. I am in the process of setting up a 4FT Juvenile Native Tank with 2 x Neosilurus Hyrtlii (hopefully around the 5-6cm mark) and 2 x Australian Bass (around the same size).

I have chosen these two species, as they both take me back to my childhood fishing Somerset Dam with family and friends (not that you can catch Neosilurus Hyrtlii there, but the normal Tandanus, I believe it was Tandanus anyway). The Australian bass will be purchased around the same size. Within the aquarium, they should have the same growth rate (so I have been told) so one species wont grow larger then the other and start being a bully.

I have been trying to find information on the internet specifically about the Neosilurus Hyrtlii regarding Diet and Habitat, but I haven't been able to find anything detailed.

I have spoken with a couple of people who have witnessed these amazing catfish in their local habitat and they have said that either gravel or sand will be fine, but most people will lean towards gravel for the substrate.

I don't want to assume that like the Tandanus Tandanus they will eat insect larvae, prawns, crayfish, mollusks, and small fishes in case this is wrong and they prefer something different.

Within my tank, I will have driftwood and some rocks providing lots of places for the young fella's to hide, along with Val and a few other native plants. The tank will be set to 24c and ph around neutral to alkaline.

Any information on this little fella would be wonderful!

Cheers!

Kieran

Kieran, good to see another native enthusiast. I wouldn't be too worried about what they will prefer. All those things you mentioned they will eat, as will they get accustomed to prepared foods (flake, pellets that sink etc) These guys don't have whiskers for nothing, they pretty much hoover around the tank finding morsels of just about anything edible to eat. Catties like these are good tank mates in a native community tank for this reason, they will pretty much scavange up excess food. I've got a few books at home on natives, I'll look up their diets but I bet they pretty much are generalists like most native catties. I have some juvenile Tandanus at the moment and I don't target any food for them, they pretty much scavange leftovers of flake, frozen brine shrimp, worms, whatever hits the substrate.

In the wild these guys (like many other native eel-tailed catfish) like to eat aquatic insects, molluscs and small crustaceans. As David said, they are pretty omnivorous in an aquarium and will grab most types of tucker left over from the other fish. I would be pretty certain they would loooooove earthworms and live shrimp, but they will happily munch small pieces of prawn. Just give them some variety.

Cheers,

Nige

Live feeder fish for catfish, particuarly the hyrtlii, would probably not be the best way to feed them, they are not really aggressive enough to chase down a live fish, and a guppy would be just too fast for them. It might eat a dead one, but i think your better off with shrimp as feeders and better off using dead ones at that.

Small live fish form a large part of the natural diet of juvenile Tandanus. However, I can't confirm this for N. hyrtlii.

The little Tandanus I have at the moment dispatches live exotics during the night in stealth attacks (on the few occasions I feed live fish). Likewise for the live shrimp.

I'm sure the N. hyrtlii will do fine without live fish in it's diet, provided you feed a nice variety of foods to ensure his/her nutritional needs are met.

Best of luck, all eeltails are cool critters and very interesting tank inhabitants :)