sugarhit

has anyone or Does anyone keep these?

I have actually found the chalices to be much less jerk prone than neolamp and lamps. We have a few Chalinochromis sp. "Bifrenatus" ($9.95) at petcity at the moment, and I would class them as 'peaceful'.... for an african. Quite easy to breed too once you have a pair. I reccomend breeding tanks without catfish as the breeding cave can get raided at night time.

interestingly wiki has this to say

This genus has a puzzling relationship with the extremely similar species placed in Julidochromis. In their mtDNA NADH dehydrogenase subunit 2 sequence, Chalinochromis are closer to J. dickfeldi, J. ornatus and J. transcriptus – in particular the latter two – than to any other living fish, while J. marlieri and J. regani are closer to Telmatochromis. Julidochromis thus might need to be split in two, with Chalinochromis included in one lineage. Alternatively, there has twice been successful intergeneric hybridization between particular lineages of Julidochromis males and Chalinochromis females (males generally do not pass on mtDNA to their offspring). Yet another possibility is that Julidochromis is monophyletic and includes Chalinochromis; in this scenario males of the common ancestor of J. marlieri and J. regani would have hybridized with females of the common ancestor of Telmatochromis

I have had bifrenatus - and found them to be very similar in behavior to julidochromis .

In a rock floor tank , I placed 6 subadults after a couple of months a pair formed and one by one the others were chased up into the corners just below the surface .( the difference to Julidichromis is that these guys do not KILL the surplus fish ) they eventually spawned ( I never actually observed a spawning - the fry just appear amongst the rocks ) and due to lack of tank space I left the fry in the tank and wound up when we moved house with various size fry to juvy hiding amongst the rocks .

Just a note ! that was in a 3 foot single species tank .

So for my 2c they are not as aggressive as julies but still very territorial with a 3 footer being enough room for 1 pair and their young . That said they may behave very different when kept with another species . I cannot comment on that as I have not kept them in a community environment .

Also I would not disagree that they have a close relationship wit Julidichromis but their mouth is constructed very differently to Julidichromis so I do believe they deserve their own Genus .

Some of it is , that I use large numbers of low tech small(mostly 2 and 3 foot ) tanks with one species in each rather than a few large tanks with a mixture of fish .

As a result I do find my fish often behave differently to what others find that mix species in a community situation . The result is I only get to see their reaction to their own kind and not to other species . My method works for me - they breed I get some fry even if I do not always have enough room to raise them . I have 24 tanks with fish in them and nearly as many empty but due to space issues no room to set them up unless I can get some 3 tier stands made (which I intend to do when I find someone close that can make them at a price I can afford ).But even If I do set all of my tanks up again after a couple of months I will be out of space again ! They will wind up full of fry.

yep I feel your pain.

I just cut back from 40 to 17 tanks

and they were all chock full of fish

problem with these little tangs is they can fill a 4 foot with the fry from 1 spawn!

As it stands now though, I generally have a few species per tank due to not being able to spread them out.

Thats why I love summer. Can setup ICB's and ponds and stuff, throw in air filters and raise armies of tropicals.

come winter it shrinks down and species get mixed while they await the heat!

I have actually found the chalices to be much less jerk prone than neolamp and lamps. We have a few Chalinochromis sp. "Bifrenatus" ($9.95) at petcity at the moment, and I would class them as 'peaceful'.... for an african. Quite easy to breed too once you have a pair. I reccomend breeding tanks without catfish as the breeding cave can get raided at night time.

interestingly wiki has this to say

Hey Donny, those little guys settled in nicely and are happy mingling with everyone else. Btw you should check out what live fish sell them for!!! HOLLY $H!TBALL$!!!!!

Chalinochromis Bifrenatus 4.5cm