sugarhit

Best powerhead?

Hi everyone,

im looking to buy a new powerhead for my 2ft tank, ive looked at lots of brands and just cant come to a decision. i currently have an elite and its beggining to drive me insane wit its loudness. just want some peoples opinions on the matter.

thank you,

ange

I have been using Aquaclear ( Hagen ) and Otto powerheads for years .

Aquaclear are not the best available but they do the job and parts are available .

Eheims are good too but I unfortunately can not afford them .

If you can afford them Eheims are as good as it gets .

i loked at the ehiem pickup, the one that would suit my tank and its wayy too short and stubby, takes up more space than i'd like to. was thinking about a fluval U1 or U2, taking out the media thats in them and putting in mini bioballs, small bit of sponge, ceramic rings and maybe some matrix. . .

I just thought that I would add that I have 2 Otto and a few aquaclear powerheads that are in excess of 25 years old and still working fine .

So if you get good ones they last - If you get Chinese brand ones you can wind up stuck as soon as an impellor fails as parts are non existent .

Did you think of getting a canister ?

an Ehiem 2213 or a Fluval 105 ( both about $ 150 ) or even post a wanted add on here - should be able to get one for under $100 second hand .

Would be a much better choice for filtration .

of the 2 the Fluval 105 is the easiest to maintain - but the Eheim cleans the water a little better .

I myself use the Fluval 105 on a 30 inch tank with Julidichromis in it . works very well - see Donny from "Pet City " ( deadfishfloating on this forum ) he may be able to do you a good price or Russ from Redlands Pet Centre can probably too , much easier to keep stable than an internal filter

you cant beat a $10 air pump and an $8 sponge to filter an average stocked 2fter.

I dont like internal filters due to lack of media.

other than that you can pop a powerhead on a sponge filter. I have this setup on a heavily stocked 3fter and it works great.

uhm fish!!!! uhh there 2 lemon tetras, 2 silver tipped tetras, 1 glass bloodfin, 1 gold ram, 1 bolivian ram, 1 sucking cat, 1 yoyo loach, 2 common BN, 1 albino BN and a ghost knife. but what im saying about the U2 is to take out whats in there and put in my own media. .