My female dwarf gourami has been having issues swimming that have become progressively worse over the past few days. At first she just hung out in plants a lot which she does from time to time so I wrote it off as normal but I've come to realise she's been using plants etc to prop herself up.

She's mostly been hanging about near the bottom of the tank today and occasionally swimming to the top for air before sinking back down again. All water paramaters are fine - Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate all zero (I have a lot of plants so 0 Nitrate is normal for me) - and all the other tank occupants including a male dwarf gourami are fine.

I've just moved her to a QT tank where she is sitting on the bottom and flopping from side to side. I have put in some aquarium salt and some shelled peas. Anything else I can do?

Does it sound like some sort of swimbladder thing? She's looking pretty bad at the moment but I don't want to call it a day before being completely sure I can't do anything for her.

As an aside - she's had a deformed fin ray since I got her. Basically she has one normal one and one little stumpy one. Don't think that has anything to do with this but I'll include it just in case.

This is my first sick fish so all help is appreciated :(

I had the same problem a few months ago with 2 x female girl gouramis - I had them in the quarantine tank and they did exactly the same thing. I have not had any success with gouramis - I have also had two males over time, and the longest one lasted was 5 months. I think they are very sensitive and prone to Dwarf Gourami Disease - I think maybe this is one fish to avoid as it is difficult to find a healthy one.

Condolonces guys, but it's probably not something you did- due to interbreeding and just generally being susceptible to everything to begin with, dwarfs often just die for no apparent reason...one reason I never reccomend them, despite the good colouring and temperament.

That is what I found out too and wanted to say - I think it is just a little fish that has been over-bred and ruined. I think maybe the only way to get a new one is not from an LFS but maybe an experienced breeder? I love this little fish - and had a lovely one for a few months, happy fellow - even built bubble nests, then he took a turn for the worst and lost him. Was a real heart-breaker when that happened. I now stay away from them altogether.

Hrm I didn't think about that but now that you mention it I do recall reading about quite a few people having issues with dwarf gouramis. I've had her and her boyfriend for about 8-9 months now but he's still going gangbusters. Think I lucked out with him as he's the best looking dwarf gourami I've seen around and has always been very healthy (I got him from a different place to the female) but I guess I'll prepare myself for the fact that he may follow suit one day too. Was probably going to find him a replacement girlfriend but I might just hold off now.