jyeberghofer

Schooling fish with Africans.

i had rainbows and they got beat to shit!

unless they are largish ones i wouldnt do it!

never been a problem for me. got a tank full of polystigma and 17 rainbows from scrubby creek. they are all saweet as. maybe i put in 20 rainbows to start but........allways a couple dumb ones in any herd i guess :lol:

Edited by tuffy_rana

Well that hasnt helped much haha Is there any other you would suggest yodapwnsasmurf? One of the guys at the Lfs said he has had luck with clown loaches?

rainbows are cheaper, especially being that larger clowns go for a song. also make sure you rearange the tank before introducing any new fish......or its gunna be fish soup HTH :lol:

Yea I always do a water change before before i put in new fish, pull out all the driftwood and lava rocks and put them back in! Do most lfs sell rainbows?

how much do they go for?

Aquabird atm has 3 clown loaches around the 6cm mark for $30?

clowns at 6cm in a cichlid tank is generally a no go. they will get harassed to death for the most part. local rainbows approx $4.50ea at most lfs HTH

The africans are only around 5-6cm them self. Its a new display.

5-6 cm africans and 5-6 cm clowns......my money is on the africans. thats not to say it wont work but you will occasionally get the twat that will tell ya in no uncertain terms that loaches cant go in an african tank period so meh. then there are others that swear driftwood is a no go in an african tank. its a personal decision with not alot of definates other then buffer issues but again meh. you can give it a go........just make sure the loaches have some "hides" and you could do well. HTH

buy a group of small msuli point aceii. They tend to school a bit.

or some larger barbs like striped barbs (or very large tank = tinfoils)

or some scissor tail rasbora, they are usually cheap as and get pretty big

scats and monos work well

Heck when I started we almost all had congo tetra (uh they are african so biotype lol) because we hadnt been told how wrong it was properly

and it worked a lot of the time

With lots of hollow logs/pipes/rocks clown loaches should be fine

but they will hide 89.462% of the time..... so may defeat the schooling idea

if by schooling you mean group of fish swimming around where you can see them

may even be able to find some cheap giant danios

failing that go with rainbows lol

just remember

most times

these are 'target fish'

Yea I always do a water change before before i put in new fish, pull out all the driftwood and lava rocks and put them back in! Do most lfs sell rainbows?

how much do they go for?

Aquabird atm has 3 clown loaches around the 6cm mark for $30?

Oi Bud, I bet thats a better price than any other LFS in town....

like, as in therapon jarbua?

i had a few at the begginning of the year, AWESOME FISH!

Ive kept these fish for many years, most aggressive terapon i have ever seen, if there is a sick or weak fish, they will annihilate it without a doubt. Might be different in an African setup, mine was in a Grunters/Perch/15-20cm community and it was picking on Jp's, Amniabata Cadivitatta and a mary river cod. Relentless little ba#@!%. Each to their own though :D

Seph