dylan1

This is puzzling me...

Hi guys,

Here's my long winded story of frustration.

so I have been setting up a sump for a 6/2/2. The sump is 5/15/15 and sits directly under the tank.

It has a 6,000Lph pump for the input to the tank.

The tank has two outputs that go down to a spray bar.

The 3 hole drilled were 32mm so I'm running 25mm hosing on all of these.

The issue I'm having is that, even though I am running a T intersection (which is controlled by a valve) from the pump back to the beginning of the sump and obviously the other back into the tank, the pump is outputting too fast for the compartment and therefore making that sucking noise because is not fully submerged.

I spoke to someone about it originally with a different problem: - the two outputs I was using had pvc elbow joints with no holes on the top to stop that gurgling noise so I changed to the T bar joint and ran a pipe up for air flow. That was all well and good but somehow that has slowed the water flow back down to the sump! The hose that I ran up for the air flow has caps on it drilled with 1.5mm holes (I think) and If I put my finger over the hole the flow rate goes back up, but then the gurgling noise comes back..

This sump has been a pain in the ass and I can not wait to have it finished once and for all as I have been chipping away at it for months now. grrr.

I'll add some pictures and please let me know if you have any ideas how to fix this...

I'm almost at the point of offering to pay someone to come and fix it! hahaha!

Thanks in advance for your much needed advice.

If there is anything else that you would like to know that you think might impact the situation let me know and I will post it up.

Dylan,

IMO you pump is way to big, try using a 3000LPH pump with soft clear/black hose for your delivery.

Also your spray bars might be restricting the return flow (hence the gurgling in the pipes), I would try using a direct flow aided by a drip tray.

There seems to be too many restrictions in that pipe work, especially when using a 6000lph trimmed or not.

Edited by FIIK

Thanks heaps for all your help guys.

Firstly just want to say I am not arguing with all these valued points but rebutting with the experience I have with this particular system.

I am just putting what I have heard/know out there and am more than happy to be incorrect but the more information I give the easier it is to find the result.

I have spent a lot in setting this up so far so I don't want to go and buy anything else unless someone is positive that is the solution.

mad-n-angry - It wasn't an issue previously with the elbow joint so I think that would mean it has the capability to maintain that flow rate with the strainers on.

The Tech Den - I think that will only reduce the flow though which wasn't an issue previously when I had the elbow joint on the outputs rather than the T's (however that was where the noise issue stemmed from). Also I think I might find that wouldn't be great for the pump.

FIIK - Here's the thing though, The outputs aren't gurgling now that I have put the t bars on them to allow for air flow, they were gurgling when I have elbow joints on them. However, now that I have t bar joints the flow down to the spray bar is reduced. The caps that sit on top of the t bar of the output have holes in them and if i cover them the flow rate comes back....but so does the gurgling noise. I could be wrong but I dont imagine the size of the pump should matter because there is a hose that goes back to the front of the sump should there be excess water being pushed up.

thanks again guys. Anymore suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Why run a pump that is chewing up twice as much power than it needs to with a flow rate that is redundant ??

Less is more.

edit: Add appx an inch gap underneath your Jap mat layers, as the mat gets dirtier it will start to restrict flow and your water level in the first chamber will rise slowly.

Edited by FIIK

Here's the thing though, The outputs aren't gurgling now that I have put the t bars on them to allow for air flow, they were gurgling when I have elbow joints on them. However, now that I have t bar joints the flow down to the spray bar is reduced. The caps that sit on top of the t bar of the output have holes in them and if i cover them the flow rate comes back....but so does the gurgling noise. I could be wrong but I dont imagine the size of the pump should matter because there is a hose that goes back to the front of the sump should there be excess water being pushed up.

The reason for this is that without the breathers the pipes are siphoning and pulling more water through .

and when you ventilate the caps you break the siphon and it becomes an overflow - resulting in less flow - but killing the gurgling noises .

There should still be plenty of flow - you just have to reduce the flow into the tank till the flow in matches the outflow .

what puzzles me is the fact you didn't research anything before setting up a sump... maybe if you did you would've known that 2 25mm overflows have a maximum flow rate of 4,542.49lph

well dont lend too much of your precious time and thought from your superior brain mate. I'm sure I'll survive without smart ass remarks.

edit: Add appx an inch gap underneath your Jap mat layers, as the mat gets dirtier it will start to restrict flow and your water level in the first chamber will rise slowly.

Yeah thanks FIIK, I was told to do that I jusyt havent got round to it yet.