radley86

few questions...

few questions need bit help with thanks! :confused:

for those of you with sumps with matrix in it... where have you bought your large quantity's from? do you just hit up local fish shop to cut you a deal if you buy 10L+ of the stuff??

and is it really that worth it or should i just look at buying say 20L instead of cheap volcanic rock from landscaping store??

also is it possible if that you put your air stones or air sponge filters into the last compartment of your sump before the water gets pumped back into the tank that than the water should be aerated enough to be able to get away with not having any air lines in the actual main tank?

Mate most wholesalers will sell it in large quantities and you are on the right track, mix it with some coral rubble or volcanic rock to increase your surface area for bacteria and make things a little cheaper.

As for the air stones the prcess of the water running through the sump should saturate the water with air already, no use aerating it even more.

GL

Dave

I have neither in my sump.

I'm getting another tank soon that I am turning into a sump.

I will be using the scoria rock because i have heard that it is just as good if not better than matrix.

As for sponge filters i have some in my sump just in case i need them and to get rid of some excess air.

But i still run sponge filters in each tank as well =)

Thanks for that lads!

And 1 more question thanks haha so if the sump pump saturates the return water with air than I shouldn't even need any air stones in the main tank at all? I got 2700L/hr and bout 1000L water!

If fish are gasping at surface (they aren't now with air stones) when I take them out will that just tell me pretty much??

Oh sorry I should have written last comment different way..

Water parameters all fine tank cycled quite while ago.. Haven't taken air stones out.. Fish aren't breathing top for air...

I was asking if I were to take them out how would I tell if water has enough oxygen in it just from the pump? Would the fish be gaspin at the top if there wasn't enough??