the German

Dose light kill bacteria

Heard today a interesting bit of info from a guy. wanted to find out if its true?

He said that if your sump has light on it that the bacteria growing in there will mutate and not work or die or something .

Intrested because my sumps have light on them ! Yes my sumps are working but will they do beter in the dark?

Thanks for reading and info!

He said that if your sump has light on it that the bacteria growing in there will mutate and not work or die or something .

Not to my knowledge .

UV of certain wavelengths at fairly high intensity will kill bacteria bet even then only for a depth of a few cm .

Checkout the design of the high end UV sterilizers - they are designed so the water is in CLOSE contact with the UV for the maximum possible time - and still they do not kill everything .

I believe that normal aquarium lights will do neither good nor harm even if algae grows the Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter will still grow on the algae .

There are more types of bacteria in your backyard, than there are species of higher life on the entire planet.

Some are sensative to light, heck those that live 5 KM STRAIGHT DOWN and eat rock and fart hydrogen, are probably weak to light.

But they own this planet, and if light fearing types die, light loving ones will take over.

Science: Bugs in the Reactor - TIME

Major biological discovery…inside the Chernobyl reactor?? « Doug’s Darkworld