Guest 1

Aquasonic VS Nutrafin test

I have two different branded ammonia tests, one Nutrafin one Aquasonic. Today I decided to test all my tanks with both tests instead of using just the Nutrafin. (the Aquasonic I purchased only last week).

According to the Nutrafin test my ammonia levels were 0 ppm.

According to the Aquasonic they were between 5-10ppm.

I followed the directions exactly as they state but dont know which one I am now to follow?

Which test brand would be more accurate and is this a factor as they should all be similar accuracy I would think?

I have fish in all the tested tanks some of which are breeding happily.

Check the used by dates bek, I would use the one that is the newest.

They should be using the same chemical elements to do the test, therefor it will be aged additives that maybe giving you skewed results..

This is only one possibility though .... lol

ok I just tested my system again and they agree on the level there so perhaps something went amiss before... my next step was to use bottled water for a controlled test hahaha. I was trying to get the accuracy set so I know that the readings for my salt water cycle are correct. I worry when the test says dangerous levels of ammonia and my fishies are still swimming in the water.

Thankyou.

I have found in our tests - the Aquasonic is a bit more sensitive. Sera is also a bit more sensitive and I like that. Our shop use tests are Sera and we also use Hanna meters. We use the Nutrafin for a broad range pH and API for normal tests. We use these as most of our customers use these and we want to make sure our results test match to theirs!

Most test kits do use the same "ingredients" but results can vary depending on the quality of the test kits and the quality of the "ingredients".