Eric A

New Planted Tank - Advice Needed for Startup

Hey guys.

I bought home a second hand Haliea 24L tank yesterday, and cleaned it up. The idea of buying this tank was to have a go at a nano planted tank. I pulled the hood apart, cleaned it all out, found it has 15W of light right now, and then put it back together.

So now that I've done what I know how to do, whats next. It's not going to be CO2 that I can forsee, although it's a possibility it could change, and i'm toying with the idea of putting up the light, to 20 or 25W, so I have a high-light setup.

I am either going to do a rock work aquascape with a carpet of plants, or a jungle/wood aquascape.

I need help on whether or not I should up the light (at 0.625W per litre now), what substrate to use (seems amazonia powder is a favoured base), what plants to use, whether CO2 should be considered more than it has and then whatever other hints and tips you guys have for me.

Cheers guys, photos will happen sooner or later :).

Yeah i've decided CO2 can be something I can play on the 3'x18"x18" later, and i've also decided that the lights are pretty good atm for the application. Eco complete, thats one I have researched yet, cheers mate.

Will post pictures after i've bought my ingredients :)