gts69

bio cubes vs matrix

hey im thinking about redoing my sump currently it runs mainly bio cubes and only a little bit of matrix im thinking about reducing the bio cube amount and increasing matrix that the sump holds does any one know if this is the better way to go ?

matrix is definately the better way to go.

Are you biocubes submerged? because if they are they aren't doing a great deal. Bio balls and cubes are designed to have water trickle over them but have access to oxygen all of the time. Where as matrix is the opposite and must be submerged, has a MUCH MUCH higher surface area thus will colonise more bacteria. I'd scrap the bio cubes all together, but thats just me

ok well in that case, since you have it out of the water i'd probably keep some of the cubes as it is good to have a mix of aerobic and anaerobic bacteria, but i'd definately want to have a higher percentage of matrix then bio cubes.

matrix has a tremendous surface area, at least 30 times that of a bio ball , money is the factor , not much fun tickets , bio balls , fun tickets a plenty , matrix

Matrix is not that expensive, give Russell RPC a call because he got heaps. Cheers

great idea considering the surface area.

that's what its all about not the price tag. ceramic rings are another great submerged media that is overlooked

as for matrix, bio cubes/balls work more effectively then POND matrix in a wet dry section