steve6610

am i a SGT or just a normal texas

Super Green Texas are usually really, really bright blue/green all over... like this:

IMG_5381.jpg

That's a small female I used to have. The 20cm male I have now has exactly the same markings and intensity, too.

Yours looks more like a standard Texas to me. Looks a lot like this.

If Herichthys cyanoguttatus is a "Texas cichlid"

and Herichthys carpintis is a "Green Texas cichlid"

then based on images in "The Cichlid Room Companion"

Yours is Herichthys carpintis!

i think its a cross SGT X TEXAS but thats me

i had heaps like that one and found out not the real SGT but a cross

bay fish have a heap going out as SGT but grow up a lot like yours

most of my pairs (6 ) have large spots and worm making all over the face and head

and in breeding mood my females go black under the chin and belly same as my males .

norm texas i have 2 pairs will go half black when breeding and the pearls look a lot like yours with out the maks on the face

so thats why i am saying crosses

Edited by fernando

If Herichthys cyanoguttatus is a "Texas cichlid"

and Herichthys carpintis is a "Green Texas cichlid"

then based on images in "The Cichlid Room Companion"

Yours is Herichthys carpintis!

The true supergreen is carpintis "escondido". LFS and wholesalers got to calling all herichthys carpintis "supergreen" whereas the true supergreen hails from the escondido area of mexico. It is unique in that it can turn vivid blue and unless I saw a texas turning blue, I would have my doubts as to it being a "supergreen". They were once marketed as blue texas but that seems to have diminished seeing as most of the time they are green. I don't know why this fish was "fashionable" in one particular part of europe but the Dutch (netherlands) were into them big time.

Same fish on same day...............they can change colour in a flash

texas_1.jpg

1-1.jpg

kev

Edited by bidkev

My SGT looked pretty much like that, I didn't think reg Tex had worm pearls on the face.

There's a lot of crossovers.................small pearls with pearls on face...............large pearls with pearls on face................large pearls with worm on face..............large pearls with large pearls on face. The true escondido supergreen has the largest of pearls with worming................to further confuse things, you can get large pearls and worming on face, but the fish doesn't turn blue...............likewise, largest of perals with worming on face and they don't display dark vertical bands to the rear when in breeding colour.

In summary, a true supergreen hails from bloodstock originating from escondido mexico. They have the largest of pearls (of all texas) and also have the largest spacing between the pearls. they have worming on the face and can turn blue all over. When conditioned, they have a dark green/blue "beard", show large lateral spots, and their rear half goes the same colour as their beard with darker vertical banding, which may or may not be seen, dependent upon just how dark their rear is, but the vertical bands will show as they come into or out of (breeding) conditioning.

All those characteristics are seen here:

IMG_0002-2.jpg

Note the large spacing between the pearls...............all pics are of same fish. The supergreen only darkens at the rear half, chin and belly, and not all over as some texas do.

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

Yours looks more like a standard Texas to me. Looks a lot like this.

I'd say that it's more likely a supergreen. In the picture that you indicated, there is little worming on the face, which Steve's has, but the telling factor is the space between the pearls. Steve's has large gaps, the picture you linked to has narrow gaps

Edited by bidkev