Sign in to follow this  
pony-tail

long time fishkeeper new to forum

To start I will just give a basic rundown on who I am .

I have been keeping fish for 4 decades , I no longer keep fish as such ( I have one very old male Empire gudgeon ) I lost interest in keeping fish when I worked as a fishkeeper for a now defunct Importer of tropical fish and goldfish in their quarantine room That was many years ago ! I now mostly just grow plants . I am though looking at getting a few smaller fish that I can safely keep with my plants . Half a dozen Curviceps some Thomasi some Rainbows and or blue eyes and mayby some small livebearers ( wild strain guppies or the like ) - not in the same tank though I only have 2ft and 3ft tanks and 1 30x15x18 that I am restaining and refinishing the cabinet for a planted display tank . All my tanks have multi-tube T5 ho lighting and are very bright - something I have found some fish to be very averse to but require for my plants . I no longer run CO2 at present as although it speeds the growth of some plants it is not essential - I have previously run it but managed growing plants for 20+ years without it . I will most likely have a single 3ft tank with CO2 but the rest without Most of my tanks have been shutdown for a while ( due to health issues ) but I am setting them up again a couple at a time .

Thanks for reading - Ian

G'day Ian,

Welcome to QLDAF. It's great to have another experienced member on the forum to help us novices (i.e. me :) )

Where in QLD are you?

Most of the curviceps avaiable in LFS these days are Asian farm bred and of poor quality. It's very hard to find quality curviceps anymore. Recently some wild caught dorsigera arrived in some Brisbane LFS. The ones I know that are still available are all males.

Peter

Recently some wild caught dorsigera arrived in some Brisbane

Which LFS ?

I have managed to get some Curviceps but as you said the quality is poor and they were not cheap !

I should be able to select out the bad traits over a couple of generations though .