DISCUS

WTB Big Tropical fish >80cm

Ok tropicals in the fish world to me is mainly considered angels, Gouramis etc.

If your looking for a clownkife then there classed as exotics.

In all honesty I wouldnt put anything with a catfish that size. If it eats a 62cm bass then it will eat anything bigger. It might not fit in its mouth but it will still try and get it in there until its ripped in half and finally fits..

Money you will waste.

Ok tropicals in the fish world to me is mainly considered angels, Gouramis etc.

If your looking for a clownkife then there classed as exotics.

In all honesty I wouldnt put anything with a catfish that size. If it eats a 62cm bass then it will eat anything bigger. It might not fit in its mouth but it will still try and get it in there until its ripped in half and finally fits..

Money you will waste.

K tropicals from where I come from are warm water fish.

I'm sure I will find something... maybe a 4 foot barra.

They are a rarity to come accross a 4 foot one in the wild. And will take alot longer to get to that size in an aquarium. The biggest I have seen in a tank would be 60cm roughly.

And as ash said. 3000l pond for a 1.2m barra. Is like a fighter in a bowl

what sorta catfish is it?

i can't picture any native catfish big enough to eat 62cm bass. and BTW 62cm bass WTF not a lot of anglers are in the 55 class yet i was lucky to get a 60cm myself (tip to tip) and the biggest i've seen with proof was 61cm forklength.

still if the catfish ate a 62cm bass i guess you will have to make a trip to barra park at bli bli. drop a livie in the big boys pond and get the transport ready to rock!

I am not putting a 4 foot barra in a 3000L pond... I said I am about to upgrade and am after something to put with the catty then... I am not stupid.

I am guessing you get alot of kids on this site that talk crap etc... I would like like to know if there is anything around that could go with my catty.

Edited by DISCUS

i can't picture any native catfish big enough to eat 62cm bass. and BTW 62cm bass WTF not a lot of anglers are in the 55 class yet i was lucky to get a 60cm myself (tip to tip) and the biggest i've seen with proof was 61cm forklength.

still if the catfish ate a 62cm bass i guess you will have to make a trip to barra park at bli bli. drop a livie in the big boys pond and get the transport ready to rock!

I still have a 63cm (TL) ozzy bass and a 45cm golden perch in another pond that survived... I can take pics with a tape if you really want them , The catty is a Phractocephalus , not native to Australia.

Unfortunately someone poisoned the big boys pond and they drag netted all the fish that were still kicking out and put them in the normal creeky system. Can't wait til december when they really go off!

I am not putting a 4 foot barra in a 3000L pond... I said I am about to upgrade and am after something to put with the catty then... I am not stupid.

I am guessing you get alot of kids on this site that talk crap etc... I would like like to know if there is anything around that could go with my catty.

Ok good, What size will the final pond be? And its really hard to say, Each fish has there own persona. Some are just angry and destroy other fish which yours sounds to be if its eating a 60+cm bass.

It also appears it hasnt been fed enough if its still hunting for food of that caliber.

I still have a 63cm (TL) ozzy bass and a 45cm golden perch in another pond that survived... I can take pics with a tape if you really want them , The catty is a Phractocephalus , not native to Australia.

Thought it would be an RTC, How big is it? That will give us another indication of if it will go with anything else.

hey discus i envy your upgrade i think really you only have barra or murry cod as options. if your catty ate a 60cm+ bass last time he'll do it again next time. (lol ever seen a tandanas catty swimming around with a dead cory horizontaly stuck in its mouth). a more boring option is a large salmon tail catty, but your kinda getting the same thing, caught a 6 pound and a 10 pound last trip to awoonga.

if it was me i'd go the cod, no fishing park so would have to come from fish farm or live at the fish markets. get one of them hand feeding in a pond and youve got a joy for many years to come.

pics/information on keeping big fish in big ponds is pretty rare to be honest so i'll be happy for you to inspire the rest of us.

cheers

The pond foot print I am thinking of doing is around 12 foot X 8 or 12 foot but only 3 foot deep as it is going to be made out of sleepers/pond liner and above ground , to go higher the pressure will snap the timber , and I don't want to dig it into the ground atm ( I have gone 4.5 foot high before and it snapped the sleepers after a few months)

The catty is very close to 90cm atm , I have a few fish around 40 -70cm+that I plan to put in with him when I upgrade and the fish grow but would like something else as well ( in the next few months when I sort out heating)