Having tried and had one explode after water splashed on it.......... I can report its rather an impressive explosion.

White I suppose depending on how in need of a sudden WAKE UP you are, is either a good thing, or a bad thing.

I certainly needed a pant change afterwoods.

They suck up the power too, but once they warm up.......... its a dam powerful light.

I got mine from a skip bin after a factory was gutted. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

but ya

BOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

So if ya do it

dont let the bulb get wet when its on lol

Sodium lamps are the yellow ones they use for street lighting.

Not very good at all for lighting as they produce more of the yellow spectrum which results in yellow light.

If you want a light for reef you'll need a lamp which produces more of the blue colour spectrum

Hth

Cav

Thanx Cav - I think I might try making them since they're so overpriced.... LED's were invented as a low cost replacement for normal bulb lights, but all of a sudden they cost 10 times more.... Will LED's alone be enough (and the right kind) of light for good coral growth?

They will be sufficient if you get the right ones, there's another member on here who uses them in his marine tank, have a look in the marine section and see what you find.

As for DIY they arent that hard, a few solder joins and that's pretty much it.

I believe A few people have done their own DIY led setups have a search and see what you can find

Cav