Mr_bungle

Cichlid ph and temp

Hi guys, I'm looking for some help !! I've just set up a 6 foot tank, I've put in 60kgs of crushed coral I've aged the water got a big bloody external filter. I'm hoping to put in some cichlids this weekend but I need to know what temperature to run my tank at as well as what ph they like. Any help you can offer is appreciated !!! Thank you in advance.

Depends on the cichlids, look up their specs to find out for the individual species. With the filter i am hoping that you have seeded it or cycled it already? Otherwise it could be a while until you put fish into the tank, aged water doesnt really mean much other than you od not have to put dechlorinator into the water.

If this is your first tank it is easy to carried away with the excitement of adding fish to it as soon as possible, but, if the tanks biological bacteria isn't established first, then any waste the fish produce and any uneaten food will foul the water and produce ammonia which is toxic and lethal to fish.

Have a search around the forum and you will find many threads on the nitrogen cycle, once you understand the basics of this, you and your fish will be better off, your fish won't die and you won't get upset.

If your filter is cycled and this isn't your first tank and you know what your doing, ph of around 7.8 and 24-26 degrees Celcius will see most of the bread and butter African cichlid species happy enough :D

Edited by ash
iPhone auto spell fail

yep what Ash said ... I've set the heater at mininum 23 degree. most of the time the tank water is around 24-25 degree. my tap PH is set at 8.0. So far happy fishies. my african cichlids are electric yellow , white knights and mainganos.

If your cichlids are different to mine then you need to look it up and see what their preference.