Chris G

My new shallow 4ft Biotope

Ok so the tank is 120cm x 30cm (w) x 35cm (H). Unusual size :)

The substrate is a mix between river sand and bunnings play sand (PAIN IN THE BOTTOM).

Hope you life, im really happy witht he right side but not so happy with the left. Also i have extra pieces that are all floating on the top that will be scattered all over the ground, may need to get some more. Also considering putting some rocks in there.

Feedback would be awesome :D

This one is all my work, adam has not even seen the tank yet.

Um in here will be going all of my endler males that i have ATM as i am doing a selective breeding program with some new males and my best females, Rest of my females will either go in here or to a friend. I am also planning on having probably sterbia or even another kind of cory, not sure (my sterbai in the other tank are trying to breed so might put their eggs in this tank to grow out. Ummm Maybe some apisto's but depends on what i am going to do with the fry from other tank really.

It has been suggested on another forum of having an emersed plant on the bits that are coming out of the tank so will probably do that with some kind of moss, any suggestions?

I will be puting some amazon frogbit in this tank, just need to steal some off Adam when he gets it of Zane :P

Yes IAL's are on there way, i ordered 1000 :P Adam is having 200 and i get the rest.

nice wood :D

I'd go with if it was my tank (I wish :P)

Corys foraging and sifting the sand on the bottom

Tetras weaving through the wood

Hatchetfish for the top of the water level

Apistos for a sort of "main" fish

L134s and L201s for the hell of it

awesome as tank man

Edited by shon982

Shon - I LOVE YOU, soooo gettting me some hatchetfish. Will probably end up going with just display with this tank instead of breeding, but might breed some cory's (sterbai) instead of buying like 40 of them, might just breed life 40 of them :P I have a breeding colony in my other biotope who have been laying eggs non stop, just did water change so will be more tomorrow haha. Instead of tetra's i am going my endlers and this is what i really wanted, a display for my endlers to be in, instead of just breeding them.

Apisto's are a MASSIVE YES but after i have the cory's bred (so then they do not get smashed up)

Forgot to mention there will be some shrimp in there to from dave aswell as som glass and cherries.

I cant believe someone just said that :P the whole i want something like you have one day, its what i find myself saying all the time haha.

Um i do like tangs but living at home limited tanks, i am going with the things that really excite me and i really like, tangs are cool but i am not really into them ATM, but i have changed before and will most probably do it again haha.

And yes a friend has some really cool ones, they are awesome. Might ask him to breed them :P

nice work Chris - going it alone this time is good to see :) (no adam!!),

hmm, just some advice:), I think the melaluca you've got in there looks a little sparce stretched right across the entire length of the tank. I'd maybe try and condense it down quite a bit, tangle it up into a tight mass 1/3 in from the side (you cant beat the rule of 1/3's) - you know what I mean??

BTW, I really like your substrate mix, it was worth the effort. It has a nice textured look to it - without being gravel!

yep, just an idea though :). More of a tightly tangled mass all woven together with some open swimming area to one side.

And the 1/3 bit is just a general guide with anything like photography and design. Depending on the subject and other variables, you generally dont want your point of focus in the centre.

Haha i know its alot, we were going to split it 500 each but now he just wants 200 so ill just use them for a while :P Well i now have 2 tanks set up with them, also will have them in the breeding tank for the endlers to condition the water for them, so 3 tanks using them :D Um I get what you are saying Kasman, but i kinda like it how it is :P I am going to do some more fiddeling around now and put the rocks in, might take a photo once im done and upload it.

And Chickadee i like the little ones haha, i don't think the giant ones would like all the small gaps they would have to go through in this tank. :P

Yes sml ones foryour tank ,giants for mine ,i read there jumpers so lids on!!!!!Or they will be Cat Food!!!!

Haha i know its alot, we were going to split it 500 each but now he just wants 200 so ill just use them for a while :P Well i now have 2 tanks set up with them, also will have them in the breeding tank for the endlers to condition the water for them, so 3 tanks using them :D Um I get what you are saying Kasman, but i kinda like it how it is :P I am going to do some more fiddeling around now and put the rocks in, might take a photo once im done and upload it.

And Chickadee i like the little ones haha, i don't think the giant ones would like all the small gaps they would have to go through in this tank. :P

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knows a south american fish that is small like a tetra to go in this tank, as i will keep it south american with the endlers, cory's, hachetfish, and are apisto's south american? But i also want something other than these guys in there aswell, another small fish.

Maybe some pencil fish (purple or coral red??) What do you think?

EDIT - also just did a search on google and none of the mosses that we have redily available are from SA, anyone know of any / have some? Apparently there is discussion about if christmas moss is SA or SE Asia ..... what do you people think?

Edited by Chris G

xmas is SA from what ive read,

when i was doing reaserch for my big tank (which was ment to be a geo biotope) i wanted a moss native to SA, Xmas was the only i could find that was native.

id say go coral reds but you've got new melaleuca in it ey?

if so that'll just kill em quick smart,

maybe goldens would be a nice subsitute?

I would go purples over coral reds. Much prefer the look of a male purple over a coral red. Anyways, fish are easy option later down track and to be honest either arent cheap (looking at over 100 for 4 of the silly things). I would recon buying 50 ruby tetras would own in this scape. OH YEAH!

Update, so im suppose to be studying but yerrrr thats not really working out haha

sooo i quickly did this tank :P but it still needs work and photo's aren't great but yer.

And dont worry sponges will be gone soon enough, just because the tank has had so much change lately just to be on the safe side

FTS

IMG_8448.jpg

Left hand side

IMG_8450.jpg

Right hand side (sorry its a bit fuzzy)

IMG_8449.jpg