asunderf

where to look for driftwood

It's illegal to remove anything alive or dead from any property other than your own without permission from the landowner (not tenant). Due to much removal of Mangrove, rangers are shit hot on it. Goes for any dead wood in any waterways also.

kev

also might be of interest to you all that if you buy mangrove root from a store it must come with the little accreditation label ,(i think from national parks and wildlife or similar)and to ppl that onsell it THEY must also produce this label or it is deemed illeagal

Wow Col, I did not know that - this is a great thread !!

I am after some mangrove for my own tank (having probs finding it at the moment) so shall make sure I ask for the relevant paperwork.

also might be of interest to you all that if you buy mangrove root from a store it must come with the little accreditation label ,(i think from national parks and wildlife or similar)and to ppl that onsell it THEY must also produce this label or it is deemed illeagal

How long has this been the rule?

You won't get any paper work when buying mangrove and I'm sure if you asked they would have no idea what you are talking about. But i guess that explains the stupid prices pay for it.'

Yeah I was at the Lfs when the guy came and the Lfs just picks what they want straight outa the back of the van, managed too score a few myself... Had a bit of chat with him and he said there is only certain areas he can collect from and the area is up far north Queensland region, said licenses are ridiculously expensive and only afew blokes do it now. Said that back in the day people would drive up and take everything and anything they could which is why it is policed alot more now and the reason licences are so expensive. He said it was ridiculous the last time he went up there as there was a company clearing a section of muddy swamp which was loaded with mangrove root, but because it wasn't within the designated region he couldn't take any!

It's not as easy as just walking and picking up a few pieces and throwing inthe van, he has to hunt and dig through knee deep mud as the designated areas have been raped so badly in the past and he does this whilst also having to keep an eye out for crocs and snakes and dealing with mozzys... Once he's loaded it it's all gotta be cleaned of mud and checked for bugs etc, so it's quite an involved process and from what he told me, it seems he really has to work hard for his return.

Was quite a sight seeing the back of van full of awesome mangrove root! But yeah I don't envy his job one bit lol

Okay guys thanks for all the tips, have seen some people house years ago now up a bit from bribie island can't think of the name and they had drift wood all pretty much over ther front verandah .

soo pretty much with out a licence its not worth it I mean there must be ppl doing it.