Lasher

My bristlenose plecos have finally made me proud

About 6 months ago I bought both a mature male and female bristlenose. The whole time I've had them, they have not gotten along. Each time the female approaches the male, he chases her away.

Well tonight I saw one of them was inside the ceramic log I've had in there for months. Upon closer inspection, I can see it's also full of eggs! Obviously the female (who has been quite plump looking for the past week) laid them in the past 24 hours, and the male is now taking care of business. I cannot find the female anywhere but assume she'll show up at some time.

It was tonight I realised the male and female can successfully breed without ever touching each other (hence the lack of need for them to get amorous).

Anyway, pic attached - I'm very excited. Will now research what I should do next to accommodate the birthing :-)

post-5764-14711625298945_thumb.jpg

Hey lasher congrats on the spawning have you ever raised b/n fry before cause if not they can be a very finiky fish. You will get alot of mixed info on how to raise the fry and alot of different things work for different people personally i find keeping the ph below 7 and feeding twice daily on algae wafers and every second day on zucchini works well but that is just what works for me, o also we do 25% water change twice a week.

Thanks abailey92. I have only had experience raising livebearers. My understanding is in 5-7 days time the fry will hatch and will have their own food supply (egg yolk sacs?) for another 5-7 days.

My plan was to do exactly as you say - algae wafers and cucumber/zucchini, as I already do this now for the parents.

My only question is...should I be removing them to a separate tank, and if so, when, and the parent(s) as well?...or should I just leave them be in my community tank (where they are now) with guppies and baby mollies? I would think their chances of getting eaten are not high. However happy to remove them (somehow) if that's the better option.

This will be my first time with baby plecos...very excited :-)

Keep them in the same tank, if you move them the dad may kick out the eggs and you will lose the lot.

If you are worried about the fry geting eaten put the guppys in another tank or put more plants and stuff in the can hide in.

Hi it must be the rainy weather , i woke up monday morning to albino baby longfiins on the glass near heater ,then i look in the log ( i just put it in there for decorations) as they are only youngsters and here are all these bubs in the log and dad hard out fanning...

So ive had to leave them as they are in community setup as i have nothing else,ive added extra dw and IA leaves and some plants to hopefully hide....

Good luck with yours too....

My community tank was originally set up for fry - lots of hiding places, ground cover and floating plants (duckweed) - not that floating plants will help pleco fry.

And Timmy, I was referring to the hatched fry, not the eggs (regarding moving to a new tank).

I'll update this thread with pics and progress as it happens. I appreciate everyone's advice :-)

heh, my new female has just done the dirty with my existing male, only had her for a day, Must be the weather. I'm planing on mooving her out into another tank, now she has done her part, and leaving the fry in with dad.

My last batch (and my first ever batch) didn't survive, but at that stage they were in a community tank with about 4 or 5 other juvi Bns, and some guppies, I always thought it was the other fish that where slowly knocking them off but never really knew for sure. This time, just to be safe, they will have a tank to themselves, and then when there a month or so old i will move them into the community tank/grow out tank for the extra room.

did have a question for the experts...

I have a batch of green water on the go, as well as some ground up wafers, also have cucumber in the fridge and plan on getting some lettuce for them. does this sound ok, do i need to grind up the algea wafers or will they knaw on them hole.

What has worked best for you guys??

Well...not sure what's gone wrong, but when I looked inside the log this morning, half the eggs were missing. By lunchtime, only one left. Now - there are no eggs left to see. Either they have hatched or someone's eaten them.

If hatched, there are no signs of ANY babies ANYWHERE. If eaten, only the male bristlenose could be the culprit, as there is no room in there for anyone else. Could his hunger have caused him to eat the eggs? Even now with no eggs left, he is inside the log fanning away.

Any ideas...?

Iam pretty sure b/n wont eat there young I could be wrong.

I have also heard they kick the eggs out if you shine a tourch in there.

Just a idea.

The fry can be hard to see , but either the eggs have hatched , or the eggs have been eaten. With all me experience of bn breeding , most of the time the fry will stick to the top of the cave so they can be a bit hard to see. Only time will tell tho. As with rearing , you can make your own fry saver , and transfer the fry into it when their egg sacs have been eaten , you can keep them in their for around 2 months , and wait for them to get bigger and release them back into the main tank , or into a fry tank. Make sure you have plenty of food for them.

Nope - the male has now left permanently. He came back a few times yesterday to check out the cave and went in a few times, but all signs of the eggs and/or fry are non existent.

Let's hope for a quick and better outcome for round #2. I'm assuming the soonest I'll get more eggs from that one female is around 4 weeks?

Well it's now been 6-7 weeks since the first spawning and we now have a second batch. I noticed the male in the cave fanning a day ago. I did a quick shine in this morning and verified a huge batch of eggs. I'm now going to leave him alone and make him as comfortable as possible - no water changes, lights on, etc.

Interested to see if I get a better outcome :-)

Today I see he is just outside the mouth of the cave and a quick shine in with a torch (the first time since I noticed him fanning) and I see no eggs. Not sure what I could do more (other than remove eggs and use a tumbler). He was left alone the whole time and never once did I see him leave the log.

hey i have noticed that one of my males eat the hole batch of eggs sometimes

but have no idea why though maybe there could be some thing wrong with the

batches they eat as they can prob sence it. but next time try and strip the

eggs off them either throw them in a fry saver with good flow of water or a egg

tumbler or i use the net fry savers with good flow of water and works a treat

cheers olly

Third time's a charm! About 3 days after abandoning the empty cave, I saw he was back in. I quick shine revealed another batch of eggs! Since it's unlikely (is it?) that the only mature female dumped half and then another half a week later, one batch must have belonged to the second (juvenile) female.

Anyway, today (a week later) I take a quick shine in and YAY: babies in the cave!!!!

Not sure what to do now - let nature take it's course, or should I be depositing some food outside the cave? At what point will the male leave?

Cheers!

Hi have recently added clay logs into my tank (have colony of burundi frontosa) and my male b/n is in there fanny was just wondering what day do you pull young out of log to put in other tank around the seven day mark???? if there is any even in there haven t ever tried to breed b/n before so new to them (dont think they will survive around the fronts thats all)

Thanks your information and experiences would be much appreciated

post-5764-14711625600226_thumb.jpg

post-5764-14711625600645_thumb.jpg

It's now 4 days later and the fry are getting bigger, but the dad refuses to leave the cave. Have yet to see them come outside.

P.S. I should note that I did a water change last weekend (when these pics were taken) and he left the cave for about 20 mins. But then he returned and hasn't left since.

Edited by Lasher

I love BN fry. they are so cute!

My last (and first) couple of batches from my new breeding pair seemed to of just Disappeared and they were the only ones in the tank. Wasn't community... So yeah, I'm fairly sure that they can eat their young but i have no idea why! :(

I'm going to separate them as soon as they hatch from now on, because It's sucky when you have them just disappear all the time :(

I have a breeding trio of common long fin BN that pop out about 60 fry per month. As a result I have given away all my short fin BN (and fry) and now have a dedicated tank full of long fin BN fry. The excitement of my first hatching has turned into 60 fry a month I have to get rid of. It's still exciting to see the eggs and hatching, but I'll soon have longfin (common and albino) BN coming out my ears!